Re: [Openchrome-users] via epia boards sound quality

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:38:56 +0200,
> Thierry Vignaud wrote:
>
>> James Courtier-Dutton <James@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>

>>> So, with the absence of the VT1617A datasheet, we effectively have
>>> no documentation for that AC97 register touched in your patch.
>>> Could I ask you to raise an alsa bug at
>>> https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/
>>>
>>> Enter into the bug everything from your updated email, with the sign
>>> off and attached patch.
>>> I will then check the patch into the HG repository, but I will add a
>>> comment next to it pointing to the bug information. That way, future
>>> developers will know why it has been put there.
>>>
>> this was added into
>> https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=2381 but didn't
>> make it into HG (or at least the BR wasn't closed)...
>>

> I committed now.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Takashi

Now that we have the datasheet, it seems that the register you touch
could cause hardware damage.
 From the datasheet, it disables the headphone amp thermal protection.
So, this fix could be counter productive. I.e. result in damage to the chip.

I suggest that we only apply it via a module option, so the user then
knows they are taking a risk by disabling the protection.
If the protection is bogus, i.e. the sensor is faulty, then we need a
way to detect this faultiness.

James