hda intel D945GNT, a few stability/latency issues

Hi, I'm running into some stability and latency problems with the hda
driver, and after trying different releases, including pulling latest
from hg, still am not getting anywhere on a few remaining issues.
I'd like to report them and see if there is anything I can do to help
resolve them.

1) audio channels can "go away" over time.  By this, I mean that I've
seen line in and/or line out go away, though mixer settings haven't
changed.  There are no application errors displayed, nor errors
displayed in /var/log/messages (though possible I don't have logging
turned up enough).  Once it occurs, which can happen anytime after
boot to days or weeks later (we have high uptime systems), the channel
(s) stay dead until the machine is rebooted, or until /etc/init.d/
alsasound restart is performed

2) Audio channels can develop a "crackle".  It's typically a single
left or right channel of line out.  The crackle doesn't necessarily
go away with an alsasound restart, but will with a reboot.  I've seen
the crackle happen immediately after a reboot.  I am not positive,
but think it also might develop over time, since I've walked in and
heard it one day, where I didn't hear it previously, without an
intervening reboot to my knowledge.  The crackle is only audible when
there is a sound playing (via any app), it's not continuous.

3)  capture mute seems to do something odd to the driver and apps
connected to it.  I need to dig into our app code and get more
information, but from what I can tell, my read on the dsp (this would
be through oss emulation, though the above problems are with direct
alsa apps) seems to block for a lot longer than expected or
something.  I understand this description might be useless, and will
try to get more information.

4) (this occurs only on one FC5 x86 build, whereas the above occur on
both FC5 x86 and x86_64 builds)  my app, which is playing audio
sync'd with video, both through SDL (SDL set to use alsa directly),
slowly looses audio sync.  The audio playback drift out longer and
longer.  We're not talking seconds or anything, but probably 100's of
milliseconds over an hour or three.  Oddly, it doesn't do this on the
exact same hardware, exact same app software and libraries, on an
almost identical FC5 x86_64 build (vs. 32bit x86 build).  The kernels
are different, and at this point the alsa versions are as well,
though I've gone through several alsa versions with the same results

System details:
Intel D945GNT motherboards

Fedora Core 5 distributions, both x86_64 (running 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5
standard fedora kernel, alsa 1.0.11) and x86 (running
2.6.17-1.2157_FC5smp standard fedora kernel, alsa various, from
1.0.11 rc2 - 1.0.12rc2, rc3(drivers))

the lspci -v looks a little different between the x86_64 and the x86
loads:
x86_64:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
         Subsystem: Intel Corporation Unknown device 0202
         Memory at 52200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
         Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
         Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
         Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
         Capabilities: [130] Unknown (5)

x86:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
         Subsystem: Intel Corporation Unknown device 0202
         Memory at 52200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
         Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
         Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0

It seems like I should be providing more information, but I'm not
sure where to go next.  I'd appreciate any suggestions, and I'm
willing to work at whatever level needed to get these issues
resolved, as it's killing my ability to rely on this particular
platform for long term audio use.  I have not dug into the hda code
itself, nor am I sure the problem necessarily lies entirely there,
but I'll patch and recompile as needed if there are possible fixes to
test.

Any ideas?   Thanks all.