Re: MCP51 on Asus M2NPV-VM doesn't get correct parameters set

Am Mittwoch 16 August 2006 14:19 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> At Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:04:50 +0200,
>
> Prakash Punnoor wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch 16 August 2006 13:11 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> > > position_fix=1 is actually a hardware problem.  This could be fixed by
> > > BIOS update (if any)...
> >
> > Thx for the info. But what exactly should I report to Asus?
>
> That the position registers (70h/74h) don't work properly.
> I don't know what values are read there.  You need to try to dump the
> values to check what's going on there.

Well, could you point me how to do it? Im not a kernel dev...

> > And if they don't
> > fix it, wouldn't a quirk be user-friendly? (The kernel also applies
> > various quirk for broken BIOSes...)
>
> Sure, but how could you choose the appropriate option for a certain
> board with a certain BIOS version?  That's the biggest question.

IIRC, this could be done reading DMI (perhaps after checking pci ids), as I
think for some other quirk in the kernel this was done (or at least
proposed).

bye,
--
//\ Prakash Punnoor /\\