Re: ASoC development status and feedback

At Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:26:25 +0100,
Liam Girdwood wrote:

> Now that the ASoC core is quite mature and works well on several
> machines (all with different codecs), I'd like to start submitting some
> patches to alsa-kernel later this week.

It'd be appreciated if you create a patch to ALSA HG tree...

> However, before I do so, I'd like to hear any feedback on the developer
> documentation in the latest patch set. I've broken the documentation
> down by area and it resides in Documentation/sound/alsa/soc/
> All comments appreciated.

Just took a quick glance, the documentation looks pretty good.

> I'd also like any feed back on the example BT codec and GSM modem
> drivers (mainstone_bluetooth.c and mainstone_baseband.c respectively)
> included in the patch. These drivers will not be submitted as they are
> intended as a proof of concept for connecting wireless codecs to dual
> interface portable codecs in hardware. This allows for PCM audio
> transport between the near end and far end without the need for the CPU
> to transfer the data (hence saving cycles and power). It also allows the
> pcm link to be set up and controlled (via alsa-lib) like any other alsa
> device. Please see the code for full details.
>
> Current dev status:
>
>  o Working platform support for pxa2xx. (i.MX31 and AT91RM9200 in
> progress)
>  o Support for Zaurus machines (corgi, tosa, spitz and poodle)
>  o Working (and application transparent) Dynamic Audio Power Management.
>  o Reusable codec and platform code.
>

> Future plans:
>
>  o Add scenario support. Alpha quality patch exists that allows for
> source-->sink audio paths to be specified (eventually to be in alsa conf
> file) and for the path to be set with the best power settings. This will
> hopefully allow for several usage scenarios to be specified as a set of
> source -- > sink descriptions (and for easy switching between them).
>
> http://www.rpsys.net/openzaurus/patches/alsa/asoc-scenario-v0.1.patch
>
>  o Driver size and performance optimisations.
>  o More codecs, platforms and machines.
>
> The latest patch is 0.11pre7.
>
> http://www.rpsys.net/openzaurus/patches/alsa/asoc-v0.11pre7.patch

Some comments on the code before you submit:

- Use real mutex instead of semaphore.

- snd_xxx_t typedefs are deprecated.  Use struct snd_xxx instead.
  (Ditto for ac97_xxx_t)
  For checking this, just comment out the inclusion of "typedefs.h" in
  sound/core.h.

- No check of the return value from snd_soc_register_card()?

- You unlikely need to include linux/version.h and linux/kernel.h.

- Keep the standard C coding style.  The pointer is "xxx *p" instead
  of "xxx* p".

thanks,

Takashi