Re: pcm_multi poll timeout error

At Mon, 31 Jul 2006 22:04:26 -0400,
Lee Revell wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 12:31 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Fri, 9 Dec 2005 20:15:02 +0000,
> > John Rigg wrote:

> > > Makes sense. So, the situation appears to be:
> > > 1 - The link code is unnecessary for duplex operation of multiple
> > > clock-synchronised sound cards with jackd.
> > > 2 - It breaks the above when present.
> >
> > Hm, the question is what the cable-sync really does.  Basically the
> > linked PCM streams in ALSA are just for trigger actions,
> > i.e. start/stop streams.  The others are not really related.
> >
> > However, the recent changes of multi pcm tries to use only one pollfd
> > as a master, and this seems broken in your case.  Or, it's really the
> > matter of linked streams.
> >
> > Will come back to this issue later...
> >

> Takashi-san,
>
> I'm not sure I fully understand - are you saying JACK is broken or that
> it's an ALSA bug?

It's an "undefined behavior".
I suppose that software-linked PCM streams do right thing, but we need
to investigate the detail.

John, could you check whether the problem still appears with the
latest ALSA HG version, especially with alsa-lib?  I remember that
some fixes have been done on multi plugin.

Takashi