Re: ALSA kernel sequencer client

Lee Revell wrote:
> I'm developing a driver for a device that's like an MPU output port, but
> some extra hardware registers need to be written to when note on/off
> messages arrive.  Since the MIDI stream must be interpreted and hardware
> needs to be accessed directly I think I need to develop an ALSA
> sequencer kernel client.

Currently, a sequencer client is only used for devices where all MIDI
messages must be interpreted by the driver and where the device doesn't
ever see them.  The USB MIDI and serial MIDI drivers do their own
parsing.

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't use a sequencer client.

> I remember seeing some docs for developing this kind of thing,

I'm sure there never were such docs.

> but can't find them - can someone point me in the right direction?

Use the Source, Luke^H^H^Hee: the USB MIDI driver was a sequencer client
before October 2002.

HTH
Clemens