Re: Inverted front speakers on sb live

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 12:49, Wiebe Cazemier wrote:

> I don't have ld10k1.
>
> These are all the files in /usr/bin that alsa-tools provide:
>
> /usr/bin/ac3dec
> /usr/bin/as10k1
> /usr/bin/cspctl
> /usr/bin/echomixer
> /usr/bin/envy24control
> /usr/bin/extract_ac3
> /usr/bin/hdsploader
> /usr/bin/mixartloader
> /usr/bin/rmedigicontrol
> /usr/bin/sbiload
> /usr/bin/sscape_ctl
> /usr/bin/us428control
> /usr/bin/usx2yloader
> /usr/bin/vxloader
>
> Hmm, this is strange. Alsa-tools 1.0.11 I installed in Gentoo doesn't have
> ld10k1, but the tar file of 1.0.10 does have it. I wonder why it's not
> installed in Gentoo. At least I have something to go on now. Thanks.

OK, this is proving to be difficult. When you start the patch server (ld10k1),
the DSP is cleared (at least mostly) and whatever initialisations alsa did,
like setting up the mixer, are gone. There is an init_live script in the
alsa-tools package, but I'm not sure if that sets it up like the driver itself
does. What's also curious, is that the effects contained in the alsa-tools
package are almost the same as the OSS EMU driver, except for inv.asm, which
solves the inversion problem.

Because the driver does it's own initialisation (DSP configuration and routing
and such), shouldn't it also take care of the inversion problem? It's kind of
strange that this problem is not addressed anymore in Alsa, whereas it was in
the OSS driver.

In other words: isn't it simply a bug that this problem isn't fixed by the
driver? The OSS driver had this neat config option you could simply set
to "yes". Such a thing here would be welcome as well.