Re: TODO list

Hah, finally found the thread. I knew there was something like this
lingering about.

> I was thinking more along the lines of User App -> OSS kernel shim ->
> userland daemon buffer, one buffer per user app -> alsa-lib.
> So, the mmap would not be a real mmap, it would be a simple matter of
> tricking the User app into thinking it is mmapped. It would be a double
> buffer really.
> So, the daemon buffer would just be whatever size the OSS user app
> wanted, and the daemon would then pass it's contents to alsa-lib or
> jackd as and when needed.
> All this would probably only be possible if some high res timer source
> (e.g. the system timer) was used to trigger the period boundaries. I
> think I mentioned that idea some time ago. Maybe we should just aim for
> that TODO item to help dmix work better at 44100Hz, and then worry about
> the OSS kernel shim after that.

I wonder if the kernel 'shim' should really be tied to OSS. I see
another application for this: bluetooth audio. Currently, there's a
kernel plugin that as far as I can tell doesn't do much more than
exactly this, push data it received from one side to the other side, the
actual communication is done in userspace. If we had a generic 'sound
driver' below alsa that could create any card with any mixer (compare to
the uinput layer!) then we could do *all* of that in userspace with
standard means.

And for the OSS emulation it'd just mean re-using that existing
interface and the existing oss emulation code (which moves and is
changed to only apply over virtual devices), and putting all the tricky
stuff into the oss daemon.

johannes