[ALSA - driver 0002217]: Problems with ASUS A6Km

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=2217>
Reported By:                mafm
Assigned To:
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   2217
Category:                   PCI - intel8x0
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             06-18-2006 05:06 CEST
Last Modified:              06-23-2006 16:23 CEST
I have the same problems described here:
https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1898 , but I'm
opening a new report because I can't find a way to add a comment there.

I tried that asus-a6km-fix.diff but it doesn't work, in fact it doesn't
appear to have any effect at all.

 mafm - 06-23-06 15:27
I got it working just by enabling External Amplifier (not messing up with
registers, 3D surround or other stuff; that some comments to other bug
reports talk about).

Note that the alsamixer interface is a bit confusing: it's a switch, so
"MM" means muted, and when enabled shows "00" (when using alsamixer I
thought that it was another regular slider, so since I could only get it
to show MM or 00 I thought that it was another symptom of the driver not
setting up the device properly).

I'm still using 1.0.12-rc1, but since I prefer to use kernels without
additions (so substituting them for new ones is easier), I'll try to get
it working with 2.6.17 (which needs that small patch only, and has alsa
1.0.11-rc4 or so).  I'll post here whether it works or not.

eNTi: could you please check if this fixes your problem?

 mafm - 06-23-06 16:23
I got it working with 1.0.11 and 1.0.12, so I'll repeat the steps to make
it clear:

0- These instructions work for me in ASUS A6KM-Q0012H model (note that
slightly different configurations seem to lead to slightly different
problems with ACPI, sound, things that work with some BIOS versions but
not with other, etc).  In my case, the problem was that to get any kind of
sound being emitted I had to connect the headphones and put Master and PCM
volumes at > 70% values, and then I got to hear something, but with a lot
of distorsion, making it unusable.  Most/all A6KM models seem to have this
issue.  The output of lspci -v is:
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 1103
        I/O ports at e400 [size=256]
        I/O ports at e000 [size=128]

1- If you're using up to 2.6.17 vanilla kernels (as opposed to kernels
including additional patches, most distributions do this, as well as
snapshots in kernel.org site), you'll need the patch attached (grabbed
from https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1898 ).  Apply
the patch with:
# cd /usr/src/linux-VERSION/sound
# patch -p1 < /PATH/asus-a6km-fix.diff
Then configure and compile as usual.

2- At this point I had it still working as before.  As opposed to comments
in other bug reports, in my case I don't need to mess with echo commands
to alter registers of the cards, nor altering surround configurations or
anything like that (in fact, I couldn't get it working with any of those
tricks).  Instead, what I had to do is to enable External Amplifier, in
KDE mixer is in the Switches tab.  Note that the alsamixer interface is a
bit confusing: it's a switch, so "MM" means muted, and when enabled shows
"00" (when using alsamixer I thought that it was another regular slider,
so since I could only get it to show MM or 00 I thought that it was
another symptom of the driver not setting up the device properly).

3- Please comment here whether this works for you or not, including
meaningful information (in the case that it's not working, pleae include
kernel versions and who distributes it, alsa version that the kernel use,
exact model of the laptop, output of the device with lspci -v, etc), so
hopefully ALSA guys can put the instructions in their site, maybe I make a
guide with configuration instructions for this laptop, etc.

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change
06-18-06 05:06 mafm           New Issue
06-18-06 16:51 ryswic         Issue Monitored: ryswic
06-19-06 15:49 mafm           Issue Monitored: mafm
06-19-06 15:50 mafm           Note Added: 0010315
06-20-06 19:46 tiwai          Note Added: 0010345
06-20-06 20:16 mafm           Note Added: 0010354
06-21-06 21:37 eNTi           Note Added: 0010405
06-21-06 22:24 rlrevell       Note Added: 0010406
06-21-06 22:33 mafm           Note Added: 0010407
06-21-06 22:48 eNTi           Note Added: 0010408
06-22-06 00:10 mafm           Note Added: 0010410
06-23-06 15:27 mafm           Note Added: 0010451
06-23-06 15:55 mafm           File Added: asus-a6km-fix.diff
06-23-06 16:23 mafm           Note Added: 0010454