Re: TLV

At Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:16:06 +0200 (CEST),
Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> > > Or worse, finding out that we have to be backwards compatible with an
> > > API that was never used!
> >
> > If it was never used, we can simply abandon the old ioctl :)
> > (Of course, better not to have such one.)
>
> I think that the situation with the out-of-tree development is not ideal.
> I commited my first TLV patch as soon as possible to show the way. It's
> really a smart patch without any additonal code to show the simplest way
> to implement TLV. The callback enhancement is also a quick and smart
> evolution for the TLV implementation so I'd like to commit it also now,
> but reactions like "we should wait more time" prevents me to do it. I
> think that the policy should be: Send a patch proposal to alsa-devel and
> if none has serious objections in two weeks, put it to the HG repo,
> otherwise we'll end with huge changes which can be hardly verified in the
> commit time. I would prefer a step-by-step evolution and bug-fixing in
> several commits rather than a big patch which does all at once.

If we do in this way, we need definitely two trees, for stable release
(to be merged in the linux kernel) and development.

Don't get me wrong:  I agree with that this TLV ioctl is in a good
shape.  But we had never tested it at all!  It's not the question of
time but just practice.

The problem at this time was the public API, too.  If you once set up
an API public, it must be kept forever.  API should have no
"evolution".  It must be fixed-and-solid.

The development tree could be regarded still as experimental and
subjected to change, so good to put such stuff, such as mm-tree.
But, if you put it to linux 2.6 kernel tree...

Takashi