Re: Update: emu1212m

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> Update: I have now discovered how 1 works. I just need to write some
> code to get it working.
>
> Question:
> For (1), the FPGA array is filled with 78756 bytes of netlist code.
> I suppose one could consider this 78756 bytes as firmware.
> Should this firmware sit somewhere in userspace?
> The trouble is, that if one changes some controls on the device, e.g.
> switching from SPDIF to ADAT digital outputs, a whole new different
> firmware image is loaded. So, one has multiple different firmware
> images, with one swapping between them. Should these firmware images be
> left in the kernel then, instead of using the userspace firmware api?

I think that the hardware configuration might be implemented using kernel
module options, so that we can leave the firmware in the user space. It
will also avoid FPGA design switching when default settings would be
replaced with the user selected one using alsactl.

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxx>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer