Re: [alsa-cvslog] alsa-kernel: Control API - TLV implementation for additional information like dB scale

At Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:14:17 +0200,
I wrote:

> > What I am trying to say, is that your "simplification" of the API, has
> > resulted in this sort of functionality being excluded, so I would need
> > to implement yet another IOCTL to support it! My whole point of using
> > the full request/response TLV api, was to not restrict us. I was also
> > intending to maybe use the TLVs to set values, as well as just get
> > values. For example, another way to implement the "continuous gain"
> > feature would be to use the TLV api to set a flag, so that the 32bit
> > values are returned via the current snd_ca0106_volume_get(), but only
> > for this particular mixer open/close cycle, for backward compatibility
> > with the current api.
> >
> > Do you prefer separate new IOCTLs for all these features?
>
> We can modify the implementation.  For example, the patch like one
> below.  tlv_rw callback is completely free for own implementation.
> Each callback is in change of reading/writing the given user-space
> pointer arbitrarily.

After reconsideration, I found it's better to split the ioctl.
It's not nice that the caller has no idea whether the driver actually
reads the value or not.

Still I feel that the implementation of the callback is OK -- keep the
core stuff as small and simple as possible, and let callbacks parse
the user-pointer.

Takashi