midi quest note/1

hello all,
     i'm a computer science graduate student from florida state. for a
class project my group is trying to  write an alsa driver for the midi
quest note/1. we've gotten pretty far black boxing it, i think we'll
have the midi out port talking this weekend. we've used qemu to run what
little dos software there is on the thing and tap the signals to the
parport. unfortunately, we haven't been able to sucessfully read the
midi in port with it. in qemu, or dosemu. only by booting into dos has
this worked. if anyone has worked on this device before and might have
some hints, id really apreciate it.

kelly hirai