Device enumeration

In order for apps to support ALSA properly there NEEDS to be a proper
device enumeration API!  I was just looking at the OpenWengo site:

http://www.openwengo.org/index.php/openwengo/public/homePage/news?payload[newsId]=0

and it seems that their ALSA device selector only lists hw devices.  IOW
it's no improvement over OSS.

Will this be fixed soon?  I cannot see how we can ever expect apps to
support ALSA properly without it.  There's currently a perception that
apps must be modified to "support dmix" when all that is really needed
is to have a device enumeration that will list the default device.

It cannot be a coincidence that 99% of the apps that try to support ALSA
get it wrong.

Lee