Re: Ideas - Support for multiple MIDI devices on a single interface

[snipped]
> And if it's a completely pointless idea, let me know also ;)

Ok, you asked for it... ;)

I'm sorry to say that but I personally think it's a completely
pointless idea.

- the raw count of external MIDI equipment used in professional
  music productions has passed its high watermark years ago. Most
  external gear is replaced by softsynths these days [this is to
  say the requirement for large racks of external gear which needs
  to be controlled via MIDI is diminishing]
- IMO if you are interested in tight MIDI timing you use a multiport
  MIDI interface and won't chain snyths on a single port. Cost is not
  an issue because multiport interfaces are cheap these days (or at
  least WAY cheaper than decent external synths or other gear).
- why would there be demand to switch channels dynamically in the
  first place anyway ?
  Ignoring the additional delays (and the resulting timing issues)
  introduced by the suggested switching procedure I don't see why
  you'd need to dynamically reallocate ports and channels.
  A single port gives you 16 channel, 2-/4-/8-port interfaces give
  you 32/64/128 channel for external MIDI.
  How much equipment are you going to connect ?
  And how complex will your music be that this isn't sufficient ?
  Last not least why don't you daisychain two or more of the better
  8-port interfaces ? -- w/r to tight timing a better idea anyway !

Last not least I never used the Windows MIDI mapper and to the day
I think it is useful only for very special cases.

Best,
Michael
--
 Vote against SPAM - see http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/