Re: handling rate change on digital inputs?

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Johannes Berg wrote:

> Hey,
>
> While thinking about how I can support the optical input on Apple
> machines, I came to the following question:
>
> What should I do if, while some app is recording, the input rate on the
> digital connector changes?
> If it changes before the app starts recording, I can tell the app
> during .open what rate I have, but while it is recording? Can I (and
> should I) kick out the application?

Yes, the stream must go to the DRAINING state immediately when rate (or
other parameter) does not match (it's good to check this condition in the
interrupt handler) and trigger() callback must return -EIO in this case
when stream is requested to come up (START, PAUSE_RELEASE or RESUME).

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxx>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer