Re: Raise and lower volume through Alsa Api

At Fri, 26 May 2006 13:16:20 -0400,
Lee Revell wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 10:31 +0200, Juan Zapatero wrote:
> > But what about doing it through API, so that volume is set in the
> > application, without using any volume plugin...
>
> No, it's not currently possible with ALSA.  You have to implement your
> own software volunme control.

Well, I'm considering of the implementation since there are really
many demands on this feature.

One question is whether this control should be private or public.

If it's fine to be public, we can add a softvol to the "default" PCM.
This softvol has IFACE_PCM and contains same number of elements as PCM
substreams so that each PCM substream has own softvol.  It corresponds
to emu10k1's "PCM Volume" control.  Since it's IFACE_PCM, this won't
appear in the mixer app.

If the control should be private, it has to be implemented
differently with more changes in alsa-lib code.

Another question is whether we need an alsa-lib API function for
this.  I guess something like

	snd_ctl_elem_id_t *snd_pcm_get_volume_control(pcm_handle)

would be easy to use for apps.

Takashi