Re: Via 82xx Drivers

At Wed, 24 May 2006 13:27:50 +0100,
John Matthews wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am writing to describe a problem I have involving the snd-via82xx audio drivers on
> 2.6 kernels.  I have updated to the latest alsa-drivers to no avail.
>
> Everything works fine, apart from one small issue.  Certain programs have strange
> clicks at certain points.  The main example is with fluidsynth http://www.nongnu.org/
> fluid/   When a note is turned off there is a very loud click which can be louder than
> the note was - the same type of click that happens when you turn a channel on or off.
>
> This doesn't happen with any other sound card that I have tried (tried a few others
> including snd-ice1712 on an m-audio delta 410).  It also doesn't happen with the via
> binary oss style drivers,  "viaudiocombo" which are available from via's website.
>
> The clicks do happen (suprisingly) in exactly the same places with fluidsynth running
> into jack into snd-via82xx.
>
> I have tried this on various different boards I have around, although they are all
> types of VIA epia mini-itx boards.
>
> I have also tried dxs_support=1, dxs_support=2,dxs_support=3, dxs_support=4 and this
> doesn't help.

Did you try the latest version of ALSA driver?
Also, make sure that dxs_support=5 option, e.g. see
/sys/module/snd_via82xx/parameters/*.

If the problem still persists with the latest driver, try to play with
the secondary PCM device (hw:0,1) instead of the default one.
(Assumed that your device is no VIA8233"A".  8233/8235/8237/8251 have
 DXS channels while 8233A not.)

Takashi