Re: Re: mpu401_uart -how to set for output only?

On Friday 19 May 2006 18:15, you wrote:
> At Fri, 19 May 2006 17:10:01 +0100,
>
> Alan Horstmann wrote:
> > On Friday 19 May 2006 13:44, you wrote:

> > > I have the following pending patch on my local tree.
> > > It changes the 5th parameter in snd_mpu401_uart_new() to bit flags,
> > > and allows you to choose duplex, separate tx, and mmio mode.
> > >
> > > If it looks OK to you, I'll commit it.
> >
> > Wow!  It is not very often something has been tackled before you mention
> > the need!  I hope to try this out quickley over the next few days and
> > report back.
>
> Argh, I found a silly typo in my previous patch.
> The fixed one is below.

Took a bit of effort to get patch to apply to 1.0.11 here, but eventually
suceeded to get it to compile and run, with MPU401_INFO_INTEGRATED in all
occurances.
Then changed ice1712.c 2nd port to MPU401_INFO_OUTPUT.  Loading the driver
failled:

   linux kernel: ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/drivers/mpu401/mpu401_uart.c:548:
mpu401_uart: unable to grab port 0xc81c size 2

Perhaps if ! ( _INTEGRATED) at this section should include _OUTPUT and _INPUT
flags?

Anyway I //out these 8 lines and the driver would load.  However,

> cat /proc/asound/seq/clients
Client info
  cur  clients : 3
  peak clients : 4
  max  clients : 192

Client   0 : "System" [Kernel]
  Port   0 : "Timer" (Rwe-)
  Port   1 : "Announce" (R-e-)
Client  16 : "TerraTec DMX6Fire" [Kernel]
  Port   0 : "MIDI-Front DMX6fire 0" (RWeX)
  Port  32 : "Wavetable DMX6fire 0" (--e-)
Client  20 : "Aureal Vortex au8820" [Kernel]
  Port   0 : "au8820 MIDI 1" (RWeX)

shows(?) that the wavetable device is not writable. aplaymidi cannot open the
port, and doesn't list it.

Suggestions as to what causes this? Have checked out_enable=1, input_enable=0
for the 2nd port.

Is this patch going to be appropriate where a duplex port (ie the envy24 chip)
is used for output only?

Regards   Alan