Re: PHOTOS: PHL - October 01, 2010

FAAST Blast - September 21, 2010
Biweekly FAA Safety Briefing News Update

"Line Up and Wait" Training Now Available
On Sept. 30, 2010, the familiar ATC instruction "taxi in position and hold"
will become history. Instead, expect to hear "line up and wait" when ATC
issues instruction for a pilot to taxi onto a departure runway and wait for
takeoff clearance. Another procedure change that occurred on June 30, 2010,
requires ATC to issue an explicit clearance to aircraft crossing any runway
(active, inactive, and closed). To help pilots with these important
procedure changes, FAA added an online training module to www.FAASafety.gov.
The course is titled "Line Up and Wait: Taxi Authorization and Runway
Clearance Guidance for Airmen," and is listed in the Featured Courses portal
on the FAASafety.gov home page.

The course provides a good review of safe taxi operations, ATC procedures
and phraseology, and pilot responsibilities.  It also reviews best practices
for avoiding runway incursions, such as knowing and understanding the
meaning of the runway hold markings. Some three-fourths of runway incursions
result from a failure to comply with this marking.

Additional details on both procedure changes are available in the
Aeronautical Informational Manual (AIM) and Pilot/Controller Glossary,
located under the Air Traffic section of www.faa.gov. You can also reference
more specific information on line up and wait with FAA Notice JO 7110.536.

Medical Certification Clarification:   In his Sept/Oct 2010 Ask Medical
Certification column in FAA Safety Briefing Dr. Warren Silberman answered
this question:   "Can I get a medical with Type II insulin-dependent
diabetes?"  To clarify his answer (see page 6), Dr. Silberman adds, "Once
you are on insulin, you can only be certificated for a private pilot
third-class medical certificate. However, if you are a Type II diabetic on
oral medication-not insulin-you can get any class of medical certificate as
long as you meet our criteria."

What Pilots Need to Know (Before Offering your Piloting Skills to the
Public)
The Sept/Oct 2010 issue of FAA Safety Briefing, which focuses on proficiency
and its absolute importance for pilots and aviation maintenance technicians,
also includes a must-read article for pilots. FAA's Paul Greer writes about
the complicated subject of receiving compensation for your flying. He says,
"Flying and getting paid for it has been a dream that most pilots have had
at one time or another. It's been done by generations of pilots, but it's
also an area ripe with opportunities for new (and even older) pilots to run
afoul of the regulations." Check it out on page 12.

To view the issue, go to: http://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefing