SFGate: Continental CEO will cancel flights before fines

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2010/03/09/financial/=
f055846S41.DTL
Tuesday, March 9, 2010 (AP)
Continental CEO will cancel flights before fines
By DAVID KOENIG, AP Airlines Writer

   (03-09) 07:52 PST DALLAS, (AP) --
   Continental Airlines plans to cancel flights rather than risk stiff fines
under new federal rules designed to punish carriers for delaying
passengers.
   CEO Jeff Smisek said Tuesday the result will be that passengers will have
more trouble getting to their destinations.
   Under a federal rule taking effect next month, airlines can be fined up =
$27,500 per passenger if planes are delayed three hours and passengers
can't get off.
   Smisek said at an investor conference in New York that long delays are
rare, and mostly caused by an outdated air traffic control system that the
government has failed to upgrade.
   Airline industry officials say they should decide whether to wait out
delays, even if the delays go past three hours.
   Smisek said many passengers on delayed flights "really want to go to LA =
or
Mumbai, but the government by God says, 'We're going to fine you $27,500.'
Here's what we're going to do: We're going to cancel the flight."
   Because airlines have cut flights, leaving the remaining ones more
crowded, passengers will have fewer chances to rebook on another flight.
Passengers, he said, won't get to their destinations "for maybe days."
   The federal rule grew out of passenger frustration over incidents in whi=
ch
planes were stuck on the tarmac for hours before takeoff. With Congress
considering legislation to crack down on delays, the Transportation
Department imposed its own 3-hour rule, including fines of up to $27,500
per passenger.
   That means that for a fully packed medium-sized plane such as a Boeing
737, fines could approach $4 million per flight.
   At the same conference, Smisek repeated earlier comments that Continental
is beginning to see a return of business travelers.
   Houston-based Continental, the nation's No. 4 airline, is still thinking
about growing by combining with another airline. Continental cut off
merger talks with United Airlines a couple years ago, but both are now
smaller in comparison to Delta, which acquired Northwest to become the
world's largest airline.
   "If we think it's in our best interest to bulk up defensively, we'll do