SFGate: Nightmare on a plane - the Flight 2816 fiasco

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2009/08/16/INHN1975F0=
.DTL
Sunday, August 16, 2009 (SF Chronicle)
Nightmare on a plane - the Flight 2816 fiasco
Debra J. Saunders

   The latest infamous incident of Major Airline Tarmac Dysfunction occurred
in Minnesota last weekend when a severe storm curtailed Continental
ExpressJet Flight 2816. The flight, bound from Houston to Minneapolis-St.
Paul, was redirected to Rochester, Minn., and landed around midnight.
Then, because some person or persons made an unconscionably stupid call,
the airline did not release the 47 passengers until 6 a.m.

   Passenger Link Christin described the experience as a "nightmare" - than=
ks
to crying babies, one smelly toilet and no food. The worst part: the whole
mess appears to have been eminently avoidable, as the Minneapolis
Star-Tribune reported that a Delta flight that also was diverted to
Rochester that night allowed its passengers to deplane at 3:30 a.m.
   I almost feel sorry for the airlines. They are desperate to kill the
Airline Passenger Bill of Rights, a measure sponsored by Sens. Barbara
Boxer, D-Calif., and Olympia Snowe, R-Maine, which was approved
unanimously by the Senate Commerce Committee.
   Then they failed so monumentally that they may well have thrown a few
hold-out votes into the yes corner.
   Every time a stuck-at-the-gate horror story makes cable news, former Napa
real estate agent Kate Hanni pops up on TV. Hanni was radicalized in 2006
when her American Airlines plane sat on a Texas tarmac for nine hellish
hours. Hanni started www.flyersrights.org and a campaign for laws to
protect against what she considered to be "imprisonment."
   The Boxer/Snowe bill promises what seem like reasonable protections for
airline customers. Airlines would be required to provide passengers with
food, potable water and adequate restrooms. The biggie: Airlines would
give passengers the option to get off a plane that has been on the ground
for more than three hours.
   "The airlines blame the weather," Hanni explained. "God creates the
weather, but the airlines make the decision to stay on the tarmac." She's
right.
   Industry critics claim that the bill would only make flying worse for the
American public. Consultant Terry Trippler sees the bill as "a recipe for
'air rage' " that would pit passengers against each other. (Some may want
the captain to taxi back to the gate; others may not want to return to the
gate only to end up at the back of the line.)
   "There will be no fighting," Hanni countered. Buses could service
passengers who want out.
   But David A. Castelveter, spokesman for the Air Transport Association,
argues that it is not always safe or feasible for buses to maneuver
between planes in the worst weather.
   "One of these situations like what happened in Rochester is one too many=
,"
Castelveter noted. "We all know that." Flight 2816 was a "misstep," he
argued, not the rule.
   And: "I promise you that if a three-hour rule goes into effect, we'll be
having this conversation again and talking about the unintended
consequences - greater number of cancellations, flight delays and
passenger inconvenience."
   Beware, Castelveter added: If the Boxer/Snowe bill passes, airlines will
have an added incentive to cancel even more flights. Oh, joy. By the way,
if they can blame the weather, passengers will not be compensated for
hotels or meals.
   He also argued that it does not make sense to promulgate regulations that
restrict the decision making of pilots and the flexibility of airports.
   Hanni has done the flying public a favor by letting Big Air execs know
that obscene delays will result in the sort of news coverage that is bad
for business.
   I had to laugh when I called her group's hot line number - (877) 359-3776
- and heard the message that tells callers they can talk as long as five
minutes. And frustrated fliers do - she assured me.
   "People should never be forced to spend the night on the tarmac, held
captive on an airplane without food, water and sufficient restrooms,"
quoth Boxer in a statement after the unscheduled Rochester overnight.
   I feel nothing but solidarity with the passengers trapped on Flight 2816.
But "held captive?" I am not sure I want to cross the country in a plane
elbow to elbow with passengers who are perhaps too aware of their
"rights." (I put "rights" in quotes because passengers surrender their
autonomy to the crew when they board a plane.)
   In an e-mail, Trippler noted that the Flight 2816 fiasco could be the
straw that breaks the camel's back on the Boxer/Snowe bill. But: Just
because the Senate passes a law that mandates that passengers be allowed
to get off a plane, it doesn't mean that airlines can just open the doors
and "do it."
   If the Boxer-Snowe bill passes, the airlines will have brought it on
themselves. But that doesn't mean the law will work. The Senate can pass a
law that says that only a few dominoes need fall, but no piece of paper
can keep the dominoes in their wake from tumbling as well.

You can e-mail Debra J. Saunders at dsaunders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ------------=