Good Bye Larry

JEFF SMISEK TO =0ABECOME CHAIRMAN AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER OF CONTINENTA=
L AIRLINES; LARRY =0AKELLNER TO RETURN TO PRIVATE EQUITYAFTER 14 YEARS WITH=
 THE =0AAIRLINE=0AHOUSTON, =0AJuly 16, 2009 --  Continental Airlines (NYSE:=
 CAL) announced today that Jeff =0ASmisek, 54, Continental=E2=80=99s presid=
ent and chief operating officer and a member of =0Athe board of directors, =
will become chairman and chief executive officer, =0Aeffective January 1, 2=
010.  Smisek will succeed Larry Kellner, 50, who has =0Adecided to return t=
o private equity at year-end after 14 years with Continental, =0Athe last f=
ive of them as chairman and CEO.  =0A  =0A=E2=80=9CIt has been a great hono=
r to lead the professional men and women of Continental =0Aand be part of t=
he premier airline in the industry,=E2=80=9D Kellner said.  =E2=80=9CI have=
 =0Aworked closely with Jeff throughout my tenure, and he is a strong and e=
ffective =0Aleader.  I am confident Jeff will maintain Continental=E2=80=99=
s unique culture and =0Asuccessfully lead the Continental team through thes=
e challenging =0Atimes.=0A=E2=80=9CWhile =0AI will deeply miss my co-worker=
s at Continental, it is the right time for this =0Atransition.  Continental=
 has gained approval from DOT of our Star Alliance =0Aapplication, which wi=
ll allow us to continue as an effective global competitor,=E2=80=9D =0AKell=
ner added.=0A=E2=80=9CThe =0ABoard thanks Larry for his tremendous leadersh=
ip of Continental during some of =0Athe most challenging times this industr=
y has faced,=E2=80=9D said Henry Meyer, lead =0Adirector for Continental.  =
=0A =E2=80=9CThe =0ABoard has consistently focused on succession planning, =
and Jeff=E2=80=99s experience, =0Askills and long partnership with Larry ma=
ke him the ideal executive to succeed =0ALarry as chairman and CEO. We look=
 forward to working with Jeff as he continues =0AContinental=E2=80=99s indu=
stry leadership.=E2=80=9D=0A =E2=80=9CAlthough =0AI am saddened that Larry =
has decided to move on, I respect his decision and wish =0Ahim continued su=
ccess,=E2=80=9D said Smisek.  =E2=80=9COver the next several months, Larry =
and I =0Awill work together to ensure a smooth transition.  Our entire team=
 will remain =0Afocused on returning our company to profitability, and Cont=
inental=E2=80=99s great =0Aculture will continue to be the driving force of=
 the company=E2=80=99s long-term =0Asuccess,=E2=80=9D he added.  =0AHouston=
-based =0Aboard member Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell noted Kellner=E2=80=99s civ=
ic contributions.   =0A=E2=80=9CThe Houston community has been blessed with=
 having Larry as both a leader at =0AContinental and a leader of our commun=
ity.  Continental has been a tremendous =0Apartner to the Houston community=
 and we look forward to working with Jeff as he =0Aassumes his new role,=E2=
=80=9D said Pastor Caldwell.=0A            =0AContinental was named Fortune=
 magazine=E2=80=99s No. 1 Most Admired Global Airline in =0Aeach year of Ke=
llner=E2=80=99s tenure as chairman and CEO.  He fostered Continental=E2=80=
=99s =0Aworking together culture, while leading the carrier=E2=80=99s expan=
sion into London =0AHeathrow, China and India and focusing the company on f=
uel efficiency and =0Aenvironmental responsibility.=0AKellner =0Awill head =
Emerald Creek Group, LLC, a new private investment firm based in =0AHouston=
.   =0AJeff =0ASmisek biography=0AJeff =0ASmisek is president and chief ope=
rating officer of Continental Airlines and a =0Amember of the Board of Dire=
ctors. He is responsible for airline operations, =0Aincluding flight operat=
ions, inflight, airports, catering, cargo, maintenance =0Aand technical ope=
rations, and also human resources and labor relations, global =0Areal estat=
e, security and environmental affairs, corporate communications, =0Afederal=
 affairs, and international, state and local affairs.  Over the course of =
=0Ahis tenure at Continental, he has also overseen sales and marketing, tec=
hnology =0Aand legal affairs.  =0ASmisek =0Ajoined the airline in March 199=
5 as senior vice president and general counsel, =0Aand has since held posit=
ions of increasing responsibility. He became president =0Ain December 2004 =
and president and chief operating officer in September 2008.  =0APrior to j=
oining Continental, Smisek was a partner at Vinson & Elkins LLP, =0Awhere h=
e specialized in corporate finance and securities =0Alaw.=0ASmisek =0Agradu=
ated from Princeton University, A.B. summa cum laude in economics, in 1976,=
 =0Aand Harvard Law School, J.D. magna cum laude, in 1982. He also serves o=
n the =0Aboard of directors of National Oilwell Varco, Inc. Smisek and his =
wife reside in =0AHouston and are long-time supporters of numerous charitab=
le and civic =0Aorganizations.=0ALarry =0AKellner biography=0AKellner =0Ajo=
ined Continental in 1995 as chief financial officer. In May 2001, he was =
=0Aelected president of the airline and to the Board of Directors, and in M=
arch =0A2003, he was named president and chief operating officer. He became=
 chairman and =0Achief executive officer in December 2004.=0APrior =0Ato jo=
ining Continental, Kellner was executive vice president and chief financial=
 =0Aofficer of American Savings Bank, owned by The Robert M. Bass Group. Pr=
ior to =0Athat, he was executive vice president and chief financial officer=
 of The Koll =0ACompany, a private real estate investment and construction =
=0Afirm.=0AKellner =0Agraduated magna cum laude with a bachelor of science =
in business administration =0Afrom the University of South Carolina, where =
he served as Student Body =0APresident.  In addition, the University of Sou=
th Carolina presented him with the =0ADistinguished Alumni Award in 1998.  =
=0AKellner =0Ais active in numerous community and civic organizations. He c=
urrently serves on =0Athe board of directors for Marriott International and=
 the Air Transport =0AAssociation. On the civic front, he is a member of th=
e board of directors for =0Athe Methodist Hospital, YMCA of Greater Houston=
, the Greater Houston =0APartnership, the Spring Branch Education Foundatio=
n, and Central Houston, Inc., =0Aand is a member of the Boy Scouts of Ameri=
ca National Executive Board. Kellner =0Aalso serves on the advisory boards =
of the March of Dimes and Teach for America, =0Aand is on the development b=
oard of the University of Texas Health Science Center =0Aat Houston. He res=
ides in Houston with his wife, Susan, and their four =0Achildren.      =0A#=
##

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".