SFGate: 3 Questions: Richard Branson

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2009/05/03/BUMR17BHIR=
.DTL
Sunday, May 3, 2009 (SF Chronicle)
3 Questions: Richard Branson

   Title: Founder and minority investor
   Company: Virgin America airline, Burlingame
   Q: Virgin just started flying between San Francisco and Orange County la=
st
week. Can you make a new route work during a serious recession?
   A: Virgin America is 2 years old now. People are seeking it out. And what
we've learned is people want us to fly more routes. Orange County is a
very popular route, and we think it can be very successful. People work
hard in the Bay Area, and they like to get to the sea and get their sun
cream out. And there are a lot of business connections.
   Q: The summer travel season took a hit last year due to the recession. Do
you expect the number of airline travelers this summer to be roughly the
same as last year?
   A: Personally, I would say that would be the case.
   I may be mistaken, but I think the recession has bottomed out. Personall=
y,
I don't see a great revival in the next couple years. So the companies
that do well will be the stronger companies that offer good value for the
money. I think we could still see some failures in the airline industry,
possibly some spectacular failures.
   Q: Airlines last year responded to high jet-fuel prices by raising money
in new ways, like charging travelers to check their bags. (Virgin charges
$15 per bag.) Now that fuel prices are lower, will the airlines drop those
fees?
   A: It's unlikely airlines will break rank and not charge for these kinds
of things. But I think ticket prices will stay low or go lower.

Interview by David R. Baker, dbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Edited for space and
----
Copyright 2009 SF Chronicle

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".