JetBlue says it may stop Long Beach operation s JetBlue Email Picture Rick Loomis / Los Ang eles Times JetBlue CEO Dave Barger, right, at Long Beach Airport a year ago, told an aviat ion blog that operating at Long Beach “has been a huge frustration.” The airline, citi ng lack of progress on airport improvements, says it may move flights to LAX. By Peter Pae and Dan Weikel April 2, 2009 JetBlue Airways , citing frustration with the lack of facilit y improvements at Long Beach Airport, said We dnesday that it may cease operations at the a irport where it began its West Coast expansio n and is now the busiest carrier. No specifi c plan to leave Long Beach has been proposed, but a JetBlue spokeswoman said the airline c ould consider, among other options, scaling b ack flights or shifting them to other airport s in the region, including Los Angeles Intern ational Airport. Ads by Google JetBlue Flig hts Low fares to Major Destinations. Book yo ur flight now-Happy Jetting! JetBlue.com Ch eap Airlines Tickets Buy Cheap Airline Fligh t Tickets on this Site. Save 65%, All Airline s. www.CheapOair.com/Jet-blue New York-based JetBlue is slated to launch new transcontine ntal service at LAX in June. The airline has a loyal following at Long Beach Airport, fro m which 24 to 29 JetBlue flights depart each day bound for major cities that include New Y ork, Washington, Boston, San Francisco and La s Vegas. The airport is one of five major hub s for the airline and is considered its West Coast "anchor." "It is regrettable, and that 's not our choice," said Jenny Dervin, spokes woman for the carrier. "But we have to face t he facts that we are in temporary trailers, a nd that's not acceptable. It doesn't serve ou r customers, and it doesn't serve our brand. We want to go where we are wanted." Dervin c onfirmed comments made by JetBlue Chief Execu tive Dave Barger and first reported by the av iation blog Crankyflier.com. In an interview with the blog, Barger said that operating at Long Beach "has been a huge frustration for u s" and criticized the pace of improvements to the airport's terminal and parking structure . "They need to make good on their commitmen t to improve the airport experience," he said . "People might have to go to LAX to use us, because we're actually wanted there." Dervin denied that Barger's comments were a negotia ting ploy to prod Long Beach officials into a ddressing some of his grievances. "It is not a threat. It's simply an expression of frustr ation," she said. A Long Beach Airport offic ial said she was surprised by the comments an d that the airport had not received any indic ation from the airline that it would leave. JetBlue has 29 of the 41 commercial slots the airport can grant to airlines under the city 's noise ordinance. Rather than cutting serv ice, airport spokeswoman Sharon Diggs-Jackson said, the discount airline is adding another flight in May. Long Beach remains a profitab le market for JetBlue, she said. Long Beach Airport handles about 3 million passengers a year, a pace that has held up despite the rec ession. The airport has drawn passengers who say they want to avoid traffic congestion and long security lines that they might encounte r at LAX. JetBlue does not have any long-ter m commitments to Long Beach because the airpo rt has a month-to-month arrangement with its tenants for terminal and office space. Flight s are granted to airlines in perpetuity, but there is no requirement that they provide ser vice for a specific time period, Diggs-Jackso n said. Airport officials said plans to repl ace the existing temporary gates were being r eevaluated by the city and airport tenants be cause of the economic challenges faced by the airline industry. Plans include construction of new waiting areas and gates as well as mo re concessions. A new parking structure is on schedule, but the project will likely be sca led back, Diggs-Jackson said. JetBlue and th e airport have also been at odds over the use of commuter airline slots. Last year, JetBlu e raised the possibility of using its Embraer 190 for some of the 25 commuter airline slot s available at the airport. The twin-engine j et can hold 90 passengers. But although the Embraer aircraft is quieter than some commute r jets, Diggs-Jackson said the city's noise o rdinance prohibits the use of the plane for c ommuter flights because it is too heavy. She said JetBlue had made no formal request for t he commuter slots. peter.pae@xxxxxxxxxxx da n.weikel@xxxxxxxxxxx

JetBlue says it may stop Long Beach operations=0AEmail Picture=0ARick Loomi=
s / Los Angeles Times=0AJetBlue=0ACEO Dave Barger, right, at Long Beach Air=
port a year ago, told an=0Aaviation blog that operating at Long Beach =E2=
=80=9Chas been a huge=0Afrustration.=E2=80=9D=0AThe airline, citing lack of=
 progress on airport improvements, says it may move flights to LAX.=0ABy Pe=
ter Pae and Dan Weikel =0AApril 2, 2009 =0AJetBlue=0AAirways, citing frustr=
ation with the lack of facility improvements at=0ALong Beach Airport, said =
Wednesday that it may cease operations at the=0Aairport where it began its =
West Coast expansion and is now the busiest=0Acarrier.=0A=0ANo specific pla=
n to leave Long Beach has been proposed,=0Abut a JetBlue spokeswoman said t=
he airline could consider, among other=0Aoptions, scaling back flights or s=
hifting them to other airports in the=0Aregion, including Los Angeles Inter=
national Airport. =0A=0A=0A =0A =0AAds by Google=0AJetBlue Flights=0ALow fa=
res to Major Destinations. Book your flight now-Happy Jetting!=0AJetBlue.co=
m=0ACheap Airlines Tickets=0ABuy Cheap Airline Flight Tickets on this Site.=
 Save 65%, All Airlines.=0Awww.CheapOair.com/Jet-blue=0ANew York-based JetB=
lue is slated to launch new transcontinental service at LAX in June.=0A=0AT=
he=0Aairline has a loyal following at Long Beach Airport, from which 24 to=
=0A29 JetBlue flights depart each day bound for major cities that include=
=0ANew York, Washington, Boston, San Francisco and Las Vegas. The airport=
=0Ais one of five major hubs for the airline and is considered its West=0AC=
oast "anchor."=0A=0A"It is regrettable, and that's not our choice,"=0Asaid =
Jenny Dervin, spokeswoman for the carrier. "But we have to face=0Athe facts=
 that we are in temporary trailers, and that's not acceptable.=0AIt doesn't=
 serve our customers, and it doesn't serve our brand. We want=0Ato go where=
 we are wanted."=0A=0ADervin confirmed comments made by JetBlue Chief=0AExe=
cutive Dave Barger and first reported by the aviation blog=0ACrankyflier.co=
m. In an interview with the blog, Barger said that=0Aoperating at Long Beac=
h "has been a huge frustration for us" and=0Acriticized the pace of improve=
ments to the airport's terminal and=0Aparking structure.=0A=0A"They need to=
 make good on their commitment=0Ato improve the airport experience," he sai=
d. "People might have to go=0Ato LAX to use us, because we're actually want=
ed there."=0A=0ADervin=0Adenied that Barger's comments were a negotiating p=
loy to prod Long=0ABeach officials into addressing some of his grievances. =
"It is not a=0Athreat. It's simply an expression of frustration," she said.=
=0A=0AA=0ALong Beach Airport official said she was surprised by the comment=
s and=0Athat the airport had not received any indication from the airline t=
hat=0Ait would leave. =0A=0AJetBlue has 29 of the 41 commercial slots the a=
irport can grant to airlines under the city's noise ordinance.=0A=0ARather=
=0Athan cutting service, airport spokeswoman Sharon Diggs-Jackson said,=0At=
he discount airline is adding another flight in May. Long Beach=0Aremains a=
 profitable market for JetBlue, she said. =0A=0ALong Beach=0AAirport handle=
s about 3 million passengers a year, a pace that has held=0Aup despite the =
recession. The airport has drawn passengers who say they=0Awant to avoid tr=
affic congestion and long security lines that they=0Amight encounter at LAX=
.=0A=0AJetBlue does not have any long-term=0Acommitments to Long Beach beca=
use the airport has a month-to-month=0Aarrangement with its tenants for ter=
minal and office space. Flights are=0Agranted to airlines in perpetuity, bu=
t there is no requirement that=0Athey provide service for a specific time p=
eriod, Diggs-Jackson said.=0A=0AAirport=0Aofficials said plans to replace t=
he existing temporary gates were being=0Areevaluated by the city and airpor=
t tenants because of the economic=0Achallenges faced by the airline industr=
y. Plans include construction of=0Anew waiting areas and gates as well as m=
ore concessions. A new parking=0Astructure is on schedule, but the project =
will likely be scaled back,=0ADiggs-Jackson said.=0A=0AJetBlue and the airp=
ort have also been at=0Aodds over the use of commuter airline slots. Last y=
ear, JetBlue raised=0Athe possibility of using its Embraer 190 for some of =
the 25 commuter=0Aairline slots available at the airport. The twin-engine j=
et can hold 90=0Apassengers.=0A=0ABut although the Embraer aircraft is quie=
ter than=0Asome commuter jets, Diggs-Jackson said the city's noise ordinanc=
e=0Aprohibits the use of the plane for commuter flights because it is too=
=0Aheavy. She said JetBlue had made no formal request for the commuter=0Asl=
ots.=0A=0Apeter.pae@xxxxxxxxxxx=0A=0Adan.weikel@latimes.com

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".