Re: Coke or Pepsi?

Delta faces age-old question: Coke or Pepsi?Comments 58  | Recommend 3
Buzz up!
Like this story? Share it with Yahoo! Buzz
Coke or Pepsi? That's the age-old question Delta faces now that it
has acquired Northwest. Delta, of course, currently serves Coke while
Northwest is a Pepsi airline. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports
that -- for now --  each airline will stick with its current
soft drink "until a final determination has been made on a single
beverage provider," according to a company memo issued last week.
"We're having conversations with both," Delta vice president of
marketing Tim Mapes tells the paper. "There are contracts in place with
each of the two entities that have got to be addressed. . There
definitely will be financial considerations that we will be taking into
account."
However, it was just last year that Delta president Ed Bastian was
quoted as saying: "It'll be Coke. That's not a hard one." Coke, like
Delta, is headquartered in Atlanta and both companies' corporate
identities are strongly liked with their hometown city. Still, despite
what would seem to be an advantage for Coke, the Journal-Constitution writes
"the practical matter of breaking Northwest's contract with
Pepsi may make the decision more difficult than simply a matter of
taste - or hometown connections." Adding to the mix, by the way, is
that Bastian is a former Pepsi executive, according to the
Journal-Constitution. No word when a final decision might be made.