Vaulters crash through SYD airport ceiling

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jjAAj4HoP4aBw9TADwG-kL0c=
pV6Q

Vaulters crash through airport ceiling
1 hour ago

SYDNEY (AFP) =97 A group of world-class pole vaulters took a chunk out
of a Sydney airport ceiling in an embarrassing mishap while lumping
their unwieldy equipment through the terminal, according to reports.

The vaulters -- Australian pair Paul Burgess and Beijing Olympic
champion Steve Hooker and American 2004 Olympic gold medallist Tim
Mack -- were refused permission to send their 5.2 metre (17ft) poles
via the outsize luggage area.

But trouble struck as they carried them through the domestic airport.

Burgess said he "broke the airport" when he got the poles of his
training partner Hooker stuck in an escalator.

Plaster rained down on Burgess when the poles wedged into the step of
the escalator and smashed through the ceiling.

"We were taking the poles down the escalator and Steve was behind me
and I saw this overhanging glass sign ahead," he told The Australian
newspaper.

"I put my poles down to miss it and then turned and said to Steve,
'Don't hit the pane of glass', and as I said that my poles hit this
plaster wall and went into the ceiling."

One quick-thinking commuter activated the escalator's emergency stop
button to prevent the poles from snapping.

Hooker said the poles were only freed 45 minutes later when a
technician reversed the escalator.

Neither athlete was injured and fortunately all six poles -- each
valued at 800 dollars (520 US) -- seemed to have survived intact as
the group headed to Melbourne for Thursday's IAAF World Athletics Tour
meet.

Hosted by Google
Copyright =A9 2009 AFP. All rights reserved

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".