SFGate: Check rules for operating, not booking, airline

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2009/01/08/DD5N154HHK=
.DTL
Thursday, January 8, 2009 (SF Chronicle)
Check rules for operating, not booking, airline
Catharine Hamm

   Q: I booked my family of four on an Alaska Airlines flight operated by
American Airlines. Alaska does not charge for checking the first bag, but
American did charge me ($120 total). Alaska has washed its hands of these
charges. Can you help?
   A: Let 2008 go down as the year we finally learned to listen to the alarm
bells that go off in our heads when we hear:
   -- "Affording that house? Piece o' cake. We have a great rate that will
let you live your dream."
   -- "I'm sure it's a fantastic investment. Bernie Madoff is behind it."
   -- "Yes, we do fly to XYZ airport. It just happens to be a flight operat=
ed
by our friends over at ABC Airlines."
   I don't mean to suggest that Alaska and American did anything illegal.
They didn't. But, like the people who went for subprime loans and the
folks who got swept up in Madoff's Ponzi scheme, travelers almost always
must figure that what they see is not necessarily what they will get. Or,
as Ronald Reagan is credited with saying, "Trust but verify."
   In this case, you got sucked in by a "code share" situation exacerbated =
by
the baggage issue.
   "Code sharing" is a way of extending an airline's reach. US Airways, for
instance, might say it has an Los Angeles-to-Washington flight, but it
actually is operated by United. That's the trap I got caught in recently
when dropping my niece at a US Airways terminal for a flight really
operated by United. The kid missed her flight.
   In that case, however, her itinerary lacked these magic words: "operated
by." If your itinerary says that, let the alarm bells begin.
   That's because, says Tim Smith, a spokesman for American Airlines, "the
general rule of thumb is that the baggage rules of the OPERATING airline
(the one operating the aircraft that the customer is flown on) sets the
checked baggage fee rules that apply." And, as Smith notes in his e-mail,
Alaska's Web site says, "Passengers originating on a partner or code share
flight may be subject to additional restrictions. Please check with the
operating carrier for their baggage guidelines."
   So you might have thought you were flying on
"no-fee-for-the-first-checked-bag" Alaska, but you weren't. You were
flying on American, which, after June 15, began charging $15 per checked
bag each way for nonelite-status fliers (that is, in most cases, people
who don't have lots of frequent-flier miles or a first-class,
business-class or full-fare economy ticket).
   For a family of four, that's another ka-ching moment just waiting to
happen, sort of like having to buy food or drink, pay to talk to a live
human being to get a ticket, or rent a pillow and a blanket.
   So in 2009, as passengers continue to swim up the revenue stream, rememb=
er
that if you continue to believe that the check is in the mail, you
probably won't respect yourself in the morning.