SFGate: When airlines break promises, don't let up

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2008/11/09/TR7F13OS5C=
.DTL
Sunday, November 9, 2008 (SF Chronicle)
When airlines break promises, don't let up
Christopher Elliott, Tribune Media Services

   Airline passengers are usually a forgiving lot. When a flight doesn't ta=
ke
off as planned, they understand. When they have to pay extra for a checked
bag because of higher fuel prices, they oblige.
   But there's one thing that makes them mad as hell. And it recently
happened to Jim Allen.
   Allen, who works for an electronics company in Lowell, Mass., was trying
to book a ticket from Manchester, N.H., to Little Rock, Ark., on Delta Air
Lines' site. He found a great deal - $251 round trip - and then clicked
the "buy" button.
   That's when he noticed the price had changed to $314.
   "As I sat in amazement to what just happened, the screen refreshed again
and the airfare went to $387," he remembers. "And then it happened again.
It went to $422, where it stopped."
   Complaints about these bait-and-switch fares are becoming increasingly
common, but Delta's site gets more than its fair share, according to
Phoenix aviation consultant Roy Rosales. "Delta's site seems like the
worst," he says. "After entering all information and credit card numbers,
sometimes you'll get the, 'Oh it just sold out!' message. Seems to be a
limitation with its reservation system."
   All across the airline industry, promises are being broken with greater
frequency. In part, it's because air carriers are making more promises
than ever - especially to their valuable elite-level frequent fliers - and
in part, it's because airlines can't control some of the basic components
of their business. They're at the mercy of an antiquated air traffic
control system and market forces, such as price-sensitive passengers and
marginally higher energy costs that, taken together, make it difficult to
come through with the service they pledge to deliver.
   (I asked Delta about its reservations system. Although it acknowledged my
e-mail, it did not answer my question.)
   "The airlines are in panic mode right now," says Mark Britton, the former
general counsel for Expedia.com who now runs the legal resources Web site
Avvo.com. "I think that's made them more likely to override customer
service to save money."
   In other words, people are bound to be disappointed.
   But not you. Here are three of the most egregious ways airlines break
their promises to customers - and what you can do about it. 1. We're
flying there - oh, wait, no we're not
   When an airline accepts your money and issues a ticket, you would expect
it to honor that commitment. And when it doesn't? The least it can do is
offer a full refund. But that's not what happened to Ivelisse Leslie when
Spirit Airlines stopped flying from Orlando to Providenciales on Turks and
Caicos Islands recently. She phoned Spirit to see if she could get her
money back on her confirmed ticket to the Caribbean island. One agent told
her a refund was "impossible" and another hung up on her.
   "It was a classic case of bait-and-switch," she says. "Yes we will take
your money but we are not flying to said destination, but we have your
money so you have no other recourse. Oh by the way, we offer no apologies
or consolations."
   How do you avoid it? Leslie didn't mess around with Spirit's customer
service department, which is among the least responsive in the industry.
She disputed the charges on her credit card and got her money back.
Another option: Take the airline to small claims court. 2. Don't go
changing
   Airlines often bend their strict non-refundability rules, particularly
when a natural disaster strikes.
   Jordan Golson, a writer based in Boston, found himself in such a situati=
on
when he was vacationing in Pensacola, Fla., with his family a few summers
ago. "Thirty-six hours after we arrived, we had a hurricane warning with a
mandatory evacuation order," he remembers.
   "We fled inland 60 miles to my grandmother's home in Evergreen, Ala., to
wait out the hurricane." His airline, US Airways, had agreed to waive
change fees for passengers affected by the storm. But when he phoned the
carrier to make the change, a representative said he couldn't switch
flights because technically, the Pensacola airport had reopened. The only
solution? To buy a pricey one-way ticket back to Boston.
   How do you avoid it? Golson found the names and numbers of several key US
Airways executives ( www.elliott.org/help/us-airways/) and informed them
of the problem. "Twenty minutes later, someone from US Airways called and
asked exactly what I needed," he remembers. "Ten minutes after that, we
had reservations from Montgomery to Boston." 3. Compensation denied
   When something goes wrong, and an airline agrees to send you a voucher or
refund, you're home free - right?
   That's what James Simon thought when Virgin Atlantic canceled his flight=
few months ago and rebooked him on British Airways. He had been downgraded
from business class to economy and was promised a $250 voucher or 25,000
miles for the trouble. But after months of waiting, Virgin didn't send him
either. Simon's patience was at an end. "I'm filing a small claims case
against them," he told me. After bringing Simon's case to Virgin's
attention, it made good on its promise.
   How do you avoid it? Persistent, polite requests sent to an airline's
customer service department reminding it of its promises is usually all it
takes to shake something loose. After that, your next stop is probably
small claims court.
   So what's the problem here? In a word, it's deregulation. At least that's
the assessment of Jerry Sterns, a San Francisco aviation attorney. "It's
much the same as what happened to the financial and banking industry,
which has been in the news these days," he says.
   "Deregulation is premised on the idea that pure, unbridled, unregulated
competition among the carriers is the way to go.
   "And yes, Virginia," he adds, "there is a Tooth Fairy."

Christopher Elliott is the ombudsman for National Geographic Traveler
magazine. This column originally appeared on MSNBC.com. You can read more
travel tips on his blog, elliott.org or e-mail him at celliott@xxxxxxxx To
comment, visit sfgate.com/travel. -----------------------------------------=