SFGate: Airlines begin cutting many fares for holidays

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2008/10/31/BU5F13RCBF=
.DTL
Friday, October 31, 2008 (SF Chronicle)
Airlines begin cutting many fares for holidays
David Koenig, Associated Press

   (10-31) 04:00 PDT Dallas -- When it comes to holiday travel plans, good
things may come to those who waited.
   The major U.S. airlines have cut many fares for the Thanksgiving and
Christmas seasons.
   The airlines, having their worst year since at least 2005, may see the
price-cutting as necessary because they expect a slumping economy to
affect leisure and business travel. Airfare experts say they typically
don't see this kind of price-cutting until the last couple of weeks before
big holidays.
   Northwest Airlines started the rush Tuesday night with a broad holiday
fare sale, and most other major carriers matched the prices Wednesday,
according to Rick Seaney, chief executive of the travel Web site
FareCompare.com.
   "It's by far the most broad-based fare sale we've tracked in at least 18
months," Seaney said Thursday, "and this is the earliest I've ever seen
one."
   Tom Parsons, chief executive of discount travel site Bestfares.com, said
in many cases travelers can still find better deals by shopping around and
considering alternate airports.
   "I've been looking for this sale for two or three weeks," Parsons said.
"When I finally saw it, it was kind of a letdown."
   Parsons said the cuts ranged up to 25 percent off the previous price for
tickets that must be bought 21 or 30 days ahead of travel. He said
travelers using secondary airports that typically have higher prices will
get the biggest breaks.
   But there are cheaper fares available on routes where the big airlines
compete with low-cost carriers such as Southwest, JetBlue and AirTran, he
said.
   Some of the sale fares have blackout dates on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 - the
Sunday and Monday after Thanksgiving - and Dec. 20. And there are only a
handful of "super off-peak" days, as Northwest calls them.
   In most cases, the prices are good until at least late November.
   Airlines aggressively raised fares and fuel surcharges last year and ear=
ly
this year but stopped when the economy slowed noticeably. The last broad
fare increase was in early July, Seaney said.
   Carriers would rather not be cutting prices now, but demand may be slowi=
ng
faster than airlines can reduce the supply of available seats. ------------=