Aviators Secrets

Subject: Aviators Secrets

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

When my company hired me, one of the first things I noticed about many o=
f my
fellow pilots was that they were cheap bastards. I consider this to be a=

compliment to my fellow aviators.

Hotels offer a plethora of freebies that end up in the homes of pilots.
There are soaps, shampoos, lotions, sewing kits, amenity kits, and other=

things of strategic value. On the nightstands in hotel rooms, there usua=
lly
is a pad of stationary and a cheap pen. The stationary pads are commonly=

found in the cockpits, on the built in clipboards, but the pens are too
valuable to leave behind. If there are free newspapers at the front desk=
, we
are certain to take one. At some of the better hotels you can find a
newspaper and a Wall Street Journal at the same time, major score.

There is the story of the pilot who finally sends his first child off to=

college. The young adult returns for the holidays and proceeds to tell t=
he
parents everything they have learned. The parents are told many things, =
but
their child was most impressed by learning that most bars of soap are
actually very big and shampoo comes in bottles that are bigger than thei=
thumb. Being raised on hotel toiletries brought home by the student's
father, the young person was ignorant to this important part of life, on=
ly
because the father, a pilot, was a cheap bastard.

Discounts and deals abound in the pilot world. Almost every airport eate=
ry
and hotel restaurant offers a percentage off of whatever we purchase to =
eat.
There are coupons for free drinks or buffets. I have seen 50% off in som=
places, which none of us can pass up. I was at a coffee shop in a layove=
hotel recently, getting ready to head to the airport. The young woman
working the counter got me my coffee and handed me two big chocolate chi=
cookies for free. Of course I shyly refused, but she insisted that I tak=
the cookies. 'You never know when you might get hungry', She said. I was=

trying to smile and not drool at the same time. This treatment is not
unusual. I was walking through the Cincinnati airport once, when a worke=
r at
the Mrs. Fields Cookies counter waved me over. 'You can have all the lef=
over cookies for five dollars', the counter person said. I walked away w=
ith
three bags of cookies and boasted about my good deal for weeks after. I =
had
realized that the cookies kiosk was closing and instead of throwing the
cookies away, they would offer them all at a price no pilot could refuse=
. I
scored those bags of cookies several times but got so sick of them, that=
eventually refused the good deal. The same thing happened in Buffalo New=

York one night. We were doing a turn around, so we were there for about =
an
hour. I ran down to the cafeteria and ordered some wings. The man workin=
the counter asked if I wanted extra wings. I said, 'Sure, sounds good'. =
He
brought out three large to go boxes of wings, mild, medium, and hot. We
stuffed ourselves. When ordering a meal where the food is scooped up in =
predetermined amount, the generous workers dishing out the food usually =
add
a partial scoop more, smiling at us while they do it. I have never seen =
pilot tell them to take it back.

There is a good chain of communication amongst pilots, allowing us to sh=
are
the free things or good deals in our layover cities. A fellow pilot told=
 me
about free coffee at the hotel coffee shop in Boston . He said, 'You hav=
e to
be in uniform to get the free coffee'. I mentioned this to my copilot th=
evening we arrived at that hotel. The next morning I was in the lobby of=
 the
hotel studying the subway map. We had the entire day off and I was
interested in visiting a museum. I was surprised to see the copilot walk=
 by
in his uniform, seven hours before we were to be picked up. He marched o=
ver
to the coffee shop and picked up a free cup of coffee, saving himself ab=
out
$2.50. 'You make me proud', I said. He smiled, held up the free cup of J=
oe
in a salute, and then proceeded to pick up a newspaper someone left on a=

chair. He went back to his room, drank free coffee and read a free paper=
. It
doesn't get much better than that.

I worked the Hawaiian operation for several years. Our layover hotel was=
 at
a gargantuan hotel complex with three, forty story towers. Through the
grapevine, I had found out that the rooftop of every tower had a hot tub=
 on
it with an ice chest of soda next to it. Access to the rooftop was limit=
ed
to the expensive business rooms on the upper floors. This was by no mean=
s a
deterrent to us pilots. I discovered that if I took the elevator as high=
 as
I could go without using a room key, I could then take the stairwell up =
the
remaining floors, to the rooftop. I was not interested in the hot tub, b=
ut
drinking a free soda and taking in the incredible view from forty storie=
up, was great. I spent many hours up there over those years and never sa=
another person on that roof. On my way down one day I decided to take th=
elevator from the highest floor. As I walked towards the elevator I saw =
door open to what looked like a lounge. I walked into the room and reali=
zed
this was a suite converted into the business club lounge.

The suite was gorgeous, fronting the ocean, filled with food, drinks,
newspapers, and a self-serve bar. The best part of this situation was
realizing that there were no hotel employees in the room. I was alone wi=
th
platters of food, free drinks, and 24 hours off. I settled in like I own=
ed
the joint. I left two hours later, only when another hotel guest entered=
 the
room. I went back many times, but one day, when I walked in, I saw a wom=
an
sitting behind a desk. 'Good afternoon sir, can I assist you?' she said.=
wanted to say, 'Yeah, can you just go away from this good deal I have?' =
remained calm and said, 'I am trying to find my boss, and I was told to =
meet
him here.'

'Oh, no problem, what is his name, I can look him up and contact him.' s=
he
said. I was digging myself into a hole. I politely refused her help and =
left
quickly. I could tell she was eyeing me suspiciously. When I got to the
elevators, I turned around to smile at her. Next to every elevator was a=
 big
bowl of tropical fruit and a stack of newspapers. In an act of defiance,=
picked up a papaya, a mango, and a Wall Street Journal while smiling. Th=
elevator arrived quickly and I left. I called the front desk and asked w=
hen
the business lounge was staffed. I was told that at 4:30 every afternoon=
,
the business lounge was staffed. I had my answer. From then on I made su=
re I
never spent time in that room after 3:00.

I spread the word about the rooftop and lounge to my fellow pilots. One =
of
my fellow pilots brought his wife with him on a trip to Honolulu . He
convinced the wife to go to the rooftop with him and sit in the hot tub.=
 It
was a beautiful night and they ended up having sex, then more sex, then
running around the rooftop naked. Just as they were getting back to putt=
ing
their clothes on, a security team came out onto the roof. Both parties w=
ere
surprised as hell to see each other. The pilot apologized to the securit=
team as he was putting his clothes on, grabbed a couple of free sodas an=
left with his humiliated and unhappy wife.

There was a time when most airlines served good food, especially in firs=
class. I am allowed to sit in first class when I travel off duty. The pa=
ss
system at my company allows me to travel unlimited times a year. Some ye=
ars
ago a pilot told me that over the weekend he took his wife and children =
on a
flight that was a round trip flight to another city. He flew out on the
first leg enjoying a nice lunch and free drinks in first class. They wer=
e on
the ground for an hour before the same aircraft with the pilot and his
family still on it, returned to its point of origin. He and his family
enjoyed a first class dinner on the way back, the children enjoying a fe=
ice cream sundaes. That was how they spent their day and evening, enjoyi=
ng
free food, drinks, desserts, and movies. The monthly food bills were les=
than normal because the pilot was uncanny in his ability to be a cheap
bastard.

Not that long ago I was riding to a hotel for a layover. Across the stre=
et
from my hotel I saw a sign on the marquis of another hotel advertising f=
ree
wireless Internet. My monthly schedule requests were due the next day an=
d I
needed Internet access to send my requests in. Instead of paying for the=

service in my hotel, I walked across the street that next morning to use=
 the
free Internet at the other hotel. I walked past the lobby and sat in a
public area near a fireplace that had couches and coffee tables. As I wa=
booting up my computer I saw a large urn of coffee across the room. 'Wha=
the heck' I thought, it's just a cup of coffee. I got up and fixed mysel=
f a
large cup of coffee, just the way I like it. I was working on my compute=
with a solid Internet connection, drinking my coffee, when a hotel emplo=
yee
approached me. 'Sir, the breakfast buffet is now open, would you like me=
show you what we have this morning?' she said. Without the slightest
hesitation, I said, 'Why that would be great, thank you.' I proceeded to=

make myself a waffle, gather a plate of eggs and bacon, a glass of juice=
,
and a container of strawberry banana yogurt. I was still there three hou=
rs
later when they closed down the breakfast area. I was asked if I would l=
ike
anything else, so I asked if I could take a snack to go. I have shared t=
his
nugget with many of the pilots I fly with and they too have enjoyed a
scrumptious morning buffet, across the street.

This story could go on and on as there are endless examples of pilots be=
ing
cheap bastards, but there is one last example I would like to share with=

you.

About 16 years ago, I was an engineer on the Boeing 727. The captain bro=
ught
a bag onboard at the beginning of our trip. He handed me the paper bag a=
nd
told me to put it in a safe place. When we got to our destination that
night, he asked me for the bag. During our four-day trip, each day would=

start out the same, he would hand me the bag, I would put it out of harm=
way, and he would ask for it at the end of the day. On the last day he
handed as he handed me the bag, I heard the clinking of glass. 'Be caref=
ul
with that,' he said. I asked him what was in the bag. He told me there w=
ere
about ten light bulbs in the bag. I asked him why he carried all of thes=
light bulbs around. He said to me, 'I take the burned out light bulbs fr=
om
home and exchange them with the working light bulbs in our hotel rooms.'=
was at a loss for words, but I remember thinking that this guy is one ch=
eap
bastard.

OK Here's a true story I've told some of you but not all. I flew with a =
guy
that turned in his dirty uniform shirts, this was before 9/11, to a char=
ity.
He would come back a few days later when they were hanging on a rack & b=
uy
them back for .50-.75 cents. He said it was cheaper than sending them to=
 the
laundry & he'd get credit for a Tax deduction for his charitable donatio=
n-
Now that that guy is cunningly cheap!

The best slide auction on the net:
http://www.auctiontransportation.com/sites/psa188/

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".