Risky expansion strategy brought airline down

http://www.sundayherald.com/news/heraldnews/display.var.2436884.0.risky_exp=
ansion_strategy_brought_airline_down.php

Risky expansion strategy brought airline down
High oil price helped bring Scottish brothers=E2=80=99 dream to an end

By Kenny Kemp

THE FLIGHT path from Zoom to doom was an accelerated one. The rapid collaps=
e of the Canadian-registered airline, owned by Scottish brothers John and H=
ugh Boyle, has resulted in misery and anger for thousands of holidaymakers.

Many Scots hit by the collapse have been returning home this weekend after =
finding alternative routes on scheduled airlines - often on flights costing=
 hundreds of pounds more than they expected. Former Zoom customers have eve=
n accused the other carriers of making money out of the misfortune, with so=
me flights costing =C2=A32500 for a single transatlantic fare.

While the collapse of Zoom highlights the precarious situation of some smal=
ler low-cost airlines in the face of high oil prices and the credit crunch,=
 airline industry insiders are surprised that Zoom went bust during the hol=
iday season when revenues were highest.

Question marks have been raised over why it happened so quickly and without=
 warning. And it also raises serious issues for the Scottish government's H=
omecoming in 2009, which was relying on thousands of Canadians heading to S=
cotland on Zoom flights to find their roots and renew family connections.

The Sunday Herald has discovered there were tell-tale signs that the airlin=
e was in financial trouble. The domino effect meant that once the creditors=
 lost faith in the airline, it was only a short time before Zoom's ultimate=
 failure.

Zoom owes its creditors in excess of =C2=A360 million, according to a list =
filed with the Office of Superintendent of Bankruptcy Canada. The debt incl=
udes =C2=A340m in "deferred revenue", which normally refers to money taken =
in advanced ticket sales but not yet paid out to creditors.

"The company is in the process of determining its next course of action in =
its reorganisation," according to filings. "At this time it is uncertain wh=
ether or not any flights will be resumed or the status of any refunds due p=
assengers who have pre-paid flights."

The filings show that Zoom owed =C2=A31m to the operator of Pearson Interna=
tional Airport, =C2=A32m to the International Lease Finance Corporation, th=
e world's largest aircraft leasing organisation, and =C2=A3750,000 to Imper=
ial Oil for aviation fuel, among others. In February, Zoom took delivery of=
 a Boeing 757-200ER plane on a 56 month lease.

"We have done everything we can to support the airline and left no stone un=
turned to secure a refinancing package that would have kept our aircraft fl=
ying," Zoom co-founders Hugh and John Boyle said in their statement.

"Even as late as Wednesday hours before collapse on Thursday we had secured=
 a new investment package, but the actions of creditors meant we could not =
continue flying." Hugh Boyle also said that he believed the majority of the=
 40,000 passengers affected by the collapse would get their money back.

But the die was cast for the Boyle brothers and their team when decisions w=
ere taken over the last 18 months to expand.

Zoom launched flights from London Gatwick to San Diego only two months ago,=
 several years after BA pulled out. Airport officials there wooed the airli=
ne with about $300,000 in financial incentives, beating San Francisco and S=
eattle. Early this year Zoom started flying from Canada to Italy. Insiders =
say this was an extremely high-risk strategy in the current economic situat=
ion. Most airlines have been hedging the price of fuel as it has increased =
to $130 a barrel, but Zoom has not been able to hedge enough to keep its co=
sts down.

At the start of last week Zoom was in difficulty. It had clocked up an outs=
tanding bill of $400,000 at Calgary airport alone. When the pilots went to =
refuel their aircraft, the authorities refused to give them credit. From th=
is point on it was difficult for the airline to move.

The Boyle brothers had been working to refinance the business to give them =
the cash to see them through until next year but their bankers, Bank of Sco=
tland, are also facing tougher times and weren't convinced that it was a go=
od bet.

But what has upset stranded passengers is the abysmal line of communication=
s after the collapse of the airline. Canadian daily newspaper the Globe and=
 Mail reported that an Edinburgh-based designer was the first to know. Xand=
er Forsyth was one of 200 passengers packed into a room at the Halifax airp=
ort, where they were given little information. The paper said: "Mr Forsyth =
finally pulled out his iPhone and tapped the word Zoom into Google. And the=
re it was - news that the budget carrier's entire fleet had been grounded o=
ver non-payment of fees. "With a slight fear of being tackled by police I h=
opped on the highest counter I could see and shouted out the news," the des=
igner said.

=0A=0A=0A

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".