SFGate: Qantas boss predicts airline will inevitably merge

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2008/08/21/financial/=
f221541D78.DTL
Thursday, August 21, 2008 (AP)
Qantas boss predicts airline will inevitably merge

   (08-21) 22:15 PDT SYDNEY, Australia (AP) --
   Qantas Airways Ltd. will inevitably merge with another major airline as
part of the global restructuring taking place in aviation industry, the
company's chief executive officer said Friday.
   Geoff Dixon, who retires from the helm of Australia's flagship carrier in
November, said the world's 10th largest airline must become larger within
a decade to remain competitive.
   "Other airlines are starting to merge and we must be part of that," Dixon
told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.
   "We still are not big enough in five to 10 years to do it on our own. I
believe it will be sooner rather than later," he added.
   Singapore Airlines Ltd. has been named in the past as a potential suitor.
Dixon said he was not looking at any rival in particular.
   "I am not saying there is anybody out there at the moment," he said.
   "All I am saying is that many airlines are now merging in situations whe=
re
they probably would not have considered it three or four or even five
years ago," he added.
   Dixon's comments follow his Sydney-based airline posting on Thursday a 44
percent rise in annual net profit, despite a slowing Australian economy
and high fuel costs.
   In a statement Thursday, Dixon predicted fuel costs for the airline would
rise by $1.6 billion Australian dollars ($1.4 billion) in the current
financial year.
   Dixon also acknowledged the recent spate of problems that have plagued t=
he
airline, including an explosion on board a Qantas jumbo jet over the South
China Sea last month that forced an emergency landing in Manila.
   Dixon will be replaced as chief executive by Alan Joyce, who currently
heads Qantas' discount subsidiary Jetstar. --------------------------------=