From: wlwjr66 <wlw-jr@xxxxxxx>
To: Skyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2008 10:19:41 PM
Subject: [Sky-1] Re: NYTimes.com: Delays Keep Fliers Waiting and Guessing

Delays Keep Fliers Waiting and Guessing
By JOE SHARKEY

AS this is being written, a big thunderstorm is crashing outside, and
my two parrots are worked up downstairs.

"Bye-bye!" the big macaw is screaming, using words he says when alarmed.

"It's raining!" the little African gray is repeating shrilly.

I have my own reaction to inclement weather. I check out the airport
status maps on www.flightstats. com. And sure enough, as thunderstorms
rolled into the Northeast on Monday morning, a cluster of red dots
covered the New York airports and beyond, indicating that major delays
were building up.

For many passengers, the story is now familiar. Bad weather arrives,
and planes sit on tarmacs for long periods of time while passengers fume.

"They taxied us out, and we've been sitting on the tarmac ever since,"
Jennifer Wilson said by cellphone Monday afternoon from Virgin America
Flight 224, stuck at Kennedy International Airport. "They start the
engines, they move us, and then they kill them."

When I spoke to Ms. Wilson, who was bound for San Francisco, the plane
had already been sitting on the tarmac for four hours beyond its
scheduled 9:10 a.m. departure time.

Because the plane was moving on the ground, "they didn't let us get up
to use the bathrooms till after 11," she said. "We could be sitting
here for five more hours, who knows?"

Extended waits on the tarmac have become increasingly frequent in the
last 18 months as the air traffic system has been pushed to its
limits, unable to cope with added traffic and delays. For background,
consult www.flyersrights. com, the Web site of the grass-roots
coalition that was founded last year by Kate Hanni after thunderstorms
kept her plane on the tarmac for nine hours in December 2006.

The coalition is pressing for federal legislation to force airlines to
provide adequate food, water and information and to allow passengers
to get off an idled flight after three hours.

The bathroom issue, incidentally, frequently comes up as planes full
of passengers sit for hours waiting to take off.

Last Thursday night, passengers at the gate for US Airways Flight 2257
in Charlotte, N.C., were warned that the plane's two toilets were not
functioning properly and were advised to use terminal bathrooms before
boarding, according to Dyann Domoracki, a passenger.

"It was only about an hour and a half flight to Pensacola, so
everybody thought, `Oh well, no problem,' " Ms. Domoracki said.

But that turned into nearly four hours of waiting on the plane before
the flight was finally canceled, when the crew had worked past its shift.

Ms. Domoracki said she understood that weather can disrupt an already
stressed system, and that flight crews generally are doing the best
they can. But this flight had no food and little water available,
along with scant information, she said.

"Aside from physically beating us, I don't think it could have been
any worse," Ms. Domoracki said with a laugh.

The plane, a 70-seat regional jet, made frequent starts and stops on
the ground. "We seemed to be driving all around, like taking a tour of
the airport," she said. People did get up to use the bathrooms, but
"the tanks were full, and after a while, the stench got worse," she said.

After two and a half hours, the plane did return to a gate, but only
to allow the authorities to remove two passengers who were accused of
being disruptive. Ms. Domoracki said one woman had been speaking
boisterously on a cellphone. Another, she said, "grabbed a flight
attendant's arm to get some water so she could take her medicine."

James T. Olson, a spokesman for US Airways, said that Flight 2257 was
delayed during "harsh weather" that caused "about 100 cancellations
out of about 3,500 flights" nationally.

Both toilets were working, he said, adding that "passengers were using
the lavs, even when the plane was taxiing."

The two passengers who were removed "were essentially misbehaving, " he
said. One, the cellphone talker, was not "following instructions, " he
said. In the other case, he said, "there were some remarks made that
the flight attendant felt intimidated and threatened by."

It was impossible to do a regular beverage service on a plane making
frequent moves, but "people who were asking for water were getting
water," he said.

Ms. Wilson's flight, by the way, finally took off at 1:37 p.m., more
than four hours late.

E-mail: jsharkey@nytimes. com

--- In Skyone@yahoogroups. com, psa188@... wrote:

> This page was sent to you by: psa188@...
>
> BUSINESS | August 12, 2008
> On the Road: Delays Keep Fliers Waiting and Guessing
> By JOE SHARKEY
> When bad weather rolls in, planes are forced to wait on the tarmac
for extended periods, pushing the air traffic control system to its
limits.

http://www.nytimes. com/2008/ 08/12/business/ 12road.html? ex=1219204800& en=f47372f0acfa0 275&ei=5070& emc=eta1

> ABOUT THIS E-MAIL
> This e-mail was sent to you by a friend through NYTimes.com' s E-mail
This Article service.  For general information about NYTimes.com,
write to help@...

> NYTimes.com 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018
>
> Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic  (2)  Reply  (via web post)  | Start a new topic
Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Calendar
SkyOne--The Airline News Channel
  To Post message: Skyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skyone URL:
  http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/Skyone

Visit Your Group  | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use  | Unsubscribe
Recent Activity
	*  1
New PhotosVisit Your Group
Y! Sports for TV
Game Day Companion
Live fantasy league
& game stats on TV.
Yahoo! Finance
It's Now Personal
Guides, news,
advice & more.
New business?
Get new customers.
List your web site
in Yahoo! Search.
.

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".