SFGate: LOS ANGELES/LAX expansion to go ahead despite downturn, council told

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2008/08/08/BAEA126K0G=
.DTL
Friday, August 8, 2008 (SF Chronicle)
LOS ANGELES/LAX expansion to go ahead despite downturn, council told
Dan Weikel, Los Angeles Times

   (08-08) 04:00 PDT Los Angeles -- Despite a severe economic downturn in t=
he
airline industry, airport officials assured Los Angeles City Council
members Wednesday that a multibillion-dollar plan to modernize Los Angeles
International Airport will proceed, at least for the short term.
   "We will be able to go forward. This won't slow us down for five years or
so," Gina Marie Lindsey, executive director of Los Angeles World Airports,
told members of a council panel that oversees LAX, Ontario International
Airport, Van Nuys Airport and Palmdale Regional Airport.
   But Lindsey warned that there was a practical limit to what the airlines
will pay for improvements in the current economic climate and that
proposed projects should be vetted to make sure costs were reasonable and
would not raise operating expenses.
   The Trade, Commerce and Tourism Committee invited Lindsey and other
airport officials to their meeting to address the sharp declines in
flights projected for LAX and Ontario this fall and their potential
impacts on planned improvements at LAX.
   "We are concerned about our moment for modernization," said Councilwoman
Janice Hahn, who chairs the committee. "This is a time when we are trying
to lift everything up, both facilities and airport workers."
   Airline statistics show that LAX will experience an 11.2 percent drop in
available seats this fall compared with the same time last year. Ontario
faces a projected decline of up to 28.4 percent. The seat reductions
involve major domestic airlines.
   To compensate for potential losses in airport revenue, the city's airport
commission raised landing fees last month at LAX and Ontario. Among other
things, Los Angeles World Airports raises money for projects from airline
fees, terminal leases, parking and concessions.
   Lindsey also told the committee that Los Angeles World Airports is trying
to cut operating costs by reducing staff and eliminating services that
don't pay for themselves to bolster the airport finances.
   The downturn has hit LAX at a time when billions of dollars in
modernization projects have been planned for the aging airport, which has
not been significantly improved since the mid-1980s. In addition, the
airport just sold almost $900 million in bonds to pay for improvements.
   The projects include overhauling terminals, a new concourse, rebuilding
the north runway, an automated tram, a consolidated rental car facility
and replacing the airport's power, water and sewage systems.
   Lindsey said that within the next five years the airport should be able =
finish improvements to the Tom Bradley International Terminal, including a
widened taxiway and new gates on the west side that can accommodate the
next generation of large aircraft, such as the Airbus A380.
   The work is critical because international airlines have threatened to
leave LAX if the Tom Bradley terminal is not improved. Airport officials
say the project - estimated to cost at least $1.4 billion - should be done
by January 2012.
   "We are confident that the Tom Bradley terminal projects will proceed,"
said Frank Clark, executive director of the trade organization that
represents foreign carriers. "We continue to endorse the project, but that
is not a blank check. We must work with the city and the airport to design
and develop a facility that takes into account the airlines' financial
condition and can meet customer expectations."