ALPA Condemns Criminalization of Concorde Airline Accident

ALPA Condemns Criminalization of Concorde Airline Accident=0ASource: ALPA 1=
1/07/2008 =0AIn response to the recent announcement by French prosecutors t=
hat they intend to pursue a criminal investigation following the tragic cra=
sh of the Concorde in 2000, and the subsequent Flight Safety Foundation sta=
tement condemning that action, Captain John Prater, president of the Air Li=
ne Pilots Association, International, released the following statement: =93=
France=92s archaic approach to this tragic event represents a step backward=
s for global aviation safety. As we have continued to refine and improve ou=
r aviation safety systems to create the safest mode of transportation ever =
developed, we have learned that the criminalization of aircraft accident in=
vestigation can never produce positive results. =93We in the aviation safet=
y community call upon our colleagues throughout the world to join us in poi=
nting out to French authorities that their action will not improve aviation=
 safety, rather it will inevitably lead to hazards going undetected. The th=
reat
 of criminal prosecution will always result in suppressing the authorities=
=92 ability to obtain valuable safety information before tragedy strikes. T=
hat is a fact acknowledged by enlightened safety cultures throughout the av=
iation world. To be sure, if someone commits an act with intent to do harm,=
 that person should be prosecuted, but nothing suggests that any airline or=
 its personnel performed any such deliberate act that resulted in the loss =
of the Concorde. =93We mourn the loss of our colleagues and their passenger=
s but recognize that learning all that can be learned from such a tragedy i=
s the greatest legacy they can leave =96 one that will be significantly dim=
inished by this unwarranted and ill-conceived attempt to punish those who a=
cted only to discharge their duties in a safe and professional manner. We a=
pplaud and support the swift response by the Flight Safety Foundation to ca=
ll the world=92s attention to this unfortunate misuse of valuable
 resources that might otherwise be used to make an incredibly safe system e=
ven safer.=94

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".