SFGate: Delta, Northwest deal opens door to critics

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2008/04/16/BUQT1064F8=
.DTL
Wednesday, April 16, 2008 (SF Chronicle)
Delta, Northwest deal opens door to critics
George Raine, Chronicle Staff Writer

   Labor leaders pledged to run a plan to form the world's largest airline
through their gantlet, politicians promised antitrust scrutiny to the nth
degree and the airlines themselves let it be known they believe that
consolidation may be the road to salvation for a beaten and bowed
industry.
   Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines late Monday said both their boards
of directors had approved terms of a proposed merger that will, in the
coming months, require shareholder and regulatory approval. That made
Tuesday open season for critics who say mergers are anti-competitive and
anti-consumer, no matter the likely economic advantages to the combined
airline in an oppressive economy.
   But critics had more than Delta and Northwest in their sights. The
proposal fed speculation that United Airlines and Continental Airlines
will quickly follow suit, on the theory they must join forces to compete.
   United did little to discourage such thinking.
   "Consolidation is but one of the changes necessary to achieve sustained
profitability, and we have been fully supportive," Glenn Tilton, chairman,
president and chief executive of Chicago-based United, said in a statement
Tuesday. "As the industry evolves, we will take the actions we need to
strengthen our global competitiveness, and we will participate in
consolidation when and if it is the right choice and provides the right
benefits for employees, customers and shareholders."
   After months of discussions, Delta and Northwest agreed to a deal in the
belief that it will save money, particular during a time when oil prices
have risen from $55 a barrel at the beginning of 2007 to $113 at the close
Tuesday on the New York Mercantile Exchange.
   "This dramatic run-up in the price of oil makes the transaction even more
compelling," Delta and Northwest said in a statement Monday.
   The airlines said the transaction is expected to generate more than $1
billion in annual revenue and "cost synergies from more effective aircraft
utilization, a more comprehensive route system and cost synergies from
reduced overhead and improved operational efficiency."
   That means loss of jobs, of course, which in the Delta-Northwest merger
may mean cutting 14,000 jobs of 75,000 in a combined company, according to
an estimate by Challenger, Gray & Christmas, the Chicago executive
outplacement service.
   The Justice Department will look for any antitrust red flags, although on
the surface there appear to be few if any overlapping routes. In fact, the
Delta and Northwest routes are complementary.
   Roger King, an airline analyst at CreditSights in New York, said a
Delta-Northwest merger will add to industry concentration that should draw
the interest of Justice Department investigators, although the outcome is
anybody's guess.
   "To me, it's a huge risk," he said. "There's a possible merger and the
possibility of a second. It should be a major theme for the government to
discuss."
   Political scrutiny likely will be intense.
   Both the Democratic chairman and Republican ranking member of the Senate
Judiciary's Antitrust subcommittee Tuesday said they take a close look at
the Delta-Northwest proposal.
   "While we understand the financial pressures under which the major
airlines have been operating, it is, nonetheless, also vital that this
deal does not lead to fare increases and service reductions," said Sen.
Herb Kohl, D-Wis., chairman of the subcommittee. "We are especially
concerned with the consequences of this deal for travelers in small and
midsized markets, many of whom already have the fewest choice for air
carriers today."
   Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, said, "As with any merger which may have
far-reaching implications for consumers, congressional review is
appropriate. I look forward to an open and thorough vetting of this
proposed merger." Opposition in House
   In addition, Rep. Jim Oberstar, D-Minn., chairman of the House
Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, said he would hold hearings
on the proposal he is lambasting, saying it will spawn more mergers.
   "If this merger goes forward, other carriers will not be able to withsta=
nd
the potential power of the largest airline in the world; it will be a
globe-straddling, megacarrier," he said.
   Delta and Northwest do not have agreement on a merger with their pilots,
although the leaders of the unit within the Air Line Pilots Association
representing Delta pilots has agreed to terms that would kick in only
after the Justice Department signed off on an accord.
   Other unions, although unable to block a merger, said Tuesday they will
hold feet to the fire.
   The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers said it
believes "this merger is not in the best interest of passenger, employees
or the communities these airlines currently serve."
   The union represents 12,500 Northwest Airlines ramp service employees and
other workers. They are the only employees at either airline that still
have an active, secure defined benefit pension plan, which the union
believes the company will seek to do away with.
   "We will do everything legally possible to oppose any merger that
threatens our members' jobs, labor contracts, pensions, seniority and
their right to union representation," said Joseph Tiberi, a machinists'
union spokesman.
   Also on Tuesday, a coalition of United Airlines' unions, reading between
the lines of the Delta-Northwest proposal and seeing a United-Continental
marriage in the wings, fired a pre-emptive shot:
   "United CEO Glenn Tilton's dream of finding a dance partner for our
airline appears, by most accounts, closer to becoming a reality," the
unions said.
   "Mr. Tilton can no longer hide behind the robes of a bankruptcy judge to
get what he wants from labor," said the unions, including pilots, flight
attendants, Teamsters, machinists and others. "It is now our turn to have
a say in the future and direction of our airline," the unions said. "If
the current management at United expects our cooperation in any
consolidation or merger action, they must address our needs." Stock prices
decline
   There was a cool reception to the proposed Delta-Northwest merger Tuesday
at the New York Stock Exchange, very likely because it would play out
against the backdrop of surging oil prices.
   Delta dropped $1.32, to $9.16 a share, and Northwest was down 94 cents, =
$10.28.
   One key Wall Street airline analyst, Ray Neidl at Calyon Securities, said
in a note to clients that he believes industry consolidation is necessary,
"and this is the first step in the process of bringing rationalization to
the fragmented industry." But he said past airline mergers "have generally
proved to be more expensive and messier than originally forecasted," and
he did not rule out a third party possibly entering the bidding process.

   E-mail George Raine at graine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -------------------------=