Re: Air Canada offers aid to stranded passengers - at a price

As I asked my travel agent:
On an Air Canada ticket you pay extra for:

- seat assignment
- fuel
- airport taxes
- luggage
- food and drink
- frequent flier reward miles
- changes

.. and now service.

So what's are you paying for in the first place?

I know Air Canada, by being a monopoly or a member of a duopoly in many of
the markets they fly, has to be a lot of things to a lot of people. But by
nickel and diming (or $10ing and $20ing) for optional services, is there
enough savings from NOT providing the services to everyone who might have
used them AND does the money you are collecting cover the costs AND the
tremendous negative perception that it creates? This time round, I must
think not.

I think that Continental or Westjet's (or so many other companies) strategy
will win-out in the 'end'.

Provide good if not great and consistent service for a fair price. Then move
into markets where your ability to execute is easy and exit where it is
difficult.

Saying no to a business or a market is probably a better judge of a great
company (or individual) than saying yes.

Just my bits.

Matthew