SFGate: Big summer trip? Given the economy,you may do well to wait for bargains.

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2008/03/20/DDQ4VD9PU.=
DTL
Thursday, March 20, 2008 (SF Chronicle)
Big summer trip? Given the economy,you may do well to wait for bargains.
Ed Perkins, Tribune Media Services

   If you're planning an extensive trip this summer, my best guess is that
you should hold off buying air tickets and making hotel reservations until
two or three months before your trip. Just about everyone who follows the
economic picture is predicting a continued slowdown, recession or whatever
you might want to call it.
   In response, I look for overall travel demands this summer to be sharply
weaker than last year's, and the traditional supplier response to
weakening demand is price-cutting. Given the cost pressures on airlines
and hotels, however, their promotions are apt to have fairly short windows
- both to buy and to travel. I've already received a flurry of promotional
press releases for deals in April, and I'm expecting more. Be warned,
however, that my take runs counter to some of the advice I've seen from
some good sources.
   On the airline side, I especially look for some action on fares to Europ=
e.
Right now, the big lines are still posting relatively high peak-summer
fares, hoping to snare a goodly number of travelers at those rates.
   For example, June round trips from Chicago to London are currently around
$1,100, plus taxes and fees. As another example, for travel through March
31, Alitalia was promoting round trips from Chicago or several East Coast
gateways to major Italian cities for $552 to $644, including tax; posted
fares for July are currently more than double those rates. If demand for
travel to Europe turns out to be as weak as I expect, I just don't see how
the airlines can sustain the peak fares they've posted in advance. To me,
that means the odds are good that some lines will offer peak-season
promotional deals at lower figures.
   Domestic airfares are also likely to fluctuate. The airlines need to
generate higher total revenues to offset increasing fuel costs, but they
also need to generate enough passengers to fill seats. Predicting specific
rises and falls in that environment is almost impossible; before you buy,
I suggest that you log on to www.farecast.com for some guidance. Farecast
has also applied its prediction technology to a few popular international
routes. Unfortunately, its predictions cover only a short purchasing
window; they won't do you much good yet for midsummer. For a long-term
take on times when airfares may be lowest, log on to Hotwire's
TripStarter, www.hotwire.com/tripstarter.
   Big European hotel chains are likely to do much the same as the
transatlantic airlines. A release from worldwide giant Accor, for example,
showed promotional rates at a bunch of popular European cities at well
under 100 euros (about $157 U.S.) a night in the chain's midscale Mercure
brand. A few in smaller cities are cheaper than 50 euros ($78). So far, I
haven't seen many of those "guaranteed" dollar rates at less than the
current exchange rate, but I'm expecting to see some in next month.
   Domestically, I think rates will hold pretty well - certainly at the
budget end of the scale. Given the likely tightening of business travel
budgets, however, you may see some good spring and summer promotions in a
few of the upscale brands.
   Clearly, my "wait and see" buying strategy requires that you keep a close
eye on the travel marketplace. You can do that in several ways:
   -- Sign up for one or more of the free e-mail newsletters from
SmarterTravel.com (a site for which I also run a Q-and-A forum): weekly
Last-Minute Airfares and Deal Alert; bi-weekly Cruise News; and monthly
student, senior and family travel bulletins.
   -- Sign up with one of the big dot-com agencies' fare-notification
programs: Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity all offer one or more free
fare-tracking and deal-notification services.
   As I noted at the outset, predicting when to buy is always a crapshoot -
will you lose out by waiting, or will you miss out on a promotion by
buying early? Lots of my peers favor buying now; I'm still in the waiting
camp. But it's your call.

   E-mail syndicated columnist Ed Perkins at perkins@xxxxxxxxx For column
archives or to comment, go to sfgate.com/travel and follow the links. =A9