Boeing makes formal protest over EADS deal· Aviation fir m lambasts US air force over its decision

Boeing makes formal protest over EADS deal=0A=B7 Aviation firm lambasts US =
air force over its decision =0A=B7 Congressional members take protectionist=
 tack=0AAndrew Clark in New York, Elana Schor and Mark Milner =0AThe Guardi=
an, =0AWednesday March 12 2008 =0AArticle history=0AAbout this article=0ACl=
ose =0AThis article appeared in the Guardian on Wednesday March 12 2008 on =
p34 of the Financial section. It was last updated at 00:08 on March 12 2008=
. =0ABoeing has accused the US air force of irregularities, unrealistic ass=
essments and unfair judgments in a decision to award a $35bn (=A317.5bn) co=
ntract for mid-air refuelling aircraft to a team led by Europe's EADS aeros=
pace group.=0AThe Chicago-based aircraft maker vented its fury as it filed =
a formal protest yesterday with the US government accountability office (GA=
O) - a Congressional body that has the power to order a rethink of the awar=
d. "We felt there were serious flaws in the process," said Mark McGraw, hea=
d of Boeing's tanker division. "We continue to believe we offered the most =
capable aircraft. We believe we were lower risk and we offered a lower pric=
e."=0AThe surprise decision to place the work with a European-dominated con=
tractor has sparked a row in Washington, with influential members of Congre=
ss arguing that the deal is of strategic importance to national defence and=
 that it should be kept in the US to protect jobs.=0ABoeing said its victor=
ious rival, a consortium of EADS and the US-based Northrop Grumman, was giv=
en credits for excess capacity in its tankers, even though this was outside=
 the specifications set by the military. In its complaint, Boeing accused p=
rocurement officials of encouraging a "stretched schedule", only to mark Bo=
eing down for its proposed timeline. It added that officials had inflated p=
erceived Boeing risk factors and had altered its own assumptions to help th=
e European consortium, including last-minute "unrealistic" changes to where=
 aircraft could be parked and the capacity of runways.=0A"We weren't compla=
cent; we dotted every 'i' and crossed every 't'. We worked this very hard,"=
 said McGraw, rejecting suggestions that Boeing had suffered from arrogance=
 in assuming it would be chosen.=0AThe GAO has 100 days to consider the pro=
test but experts say that Boeing's move is a long shot. The GAO only sided =
with 27% of the 1,411 complaints about contract awards it received last yea=
r. =0AHowever, even if Boeing loses, the deal could still fall victim to cr=
itics. Boeing has enlisted powerful allies on Capitol Hill, some of whom ar=
e ready to block the EADS award through legislation. John Murtha, of Pennsy=
lvania, chairman of the defense sub-committee on appropriations, which cont=
rols the Pentagon's purse strings, threatened such a move last week. "[All]=
 this committee has to do is stop the money," he told US military officials=
. "This programme is not going to go forward."=0ABoeing supporters in Congr=
ess have made an unashamedly protectionist case. Republican congressman Tod=
d Tiahrt, of Kansas, singled out the UK's nationalised healthcare system as=
 an unfair advantage to EADS. "We give advantages to the UK, to France, to =
Germany that we don't have in America," Tiahrt said.=0ALouis Gallois, EADS =
chief executive, shrugged off Boeing's protest. "It is not by chance that w=
e got it, having won the last five [international] competitions for tankers=
. " He insisted that he expected the $35bn contract to be profitable for EA=
DS. =0AGallois was speaking as EADS unveiled a net loss of =80446m (=A3340m=
) compared with a net profit of =8099m in 2006.

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".