SFGate: Delta Execs Say No Combination Deal Yet

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2008/02/23/financial/=
f010211S43.DTL
Tuesday, February 26, 2008 (AP)
Delta Execs Say No Combination Deal Yet
By HARRY R. WEBER, AP Business Writer

   (02-26) 19:41 PST ATLANTA (AP) --

   Delta Air Lines Inc.'s top two executives told employees Tuesday that the
nation's No. 3 carrier has not yet arrived at a potential combination
transaction that meets all of its conditions.

   Later Tuesday, Northwest Airlines CEO Doug Steenland told employees in a
letter that Northwest is still considering "strategic alternatives."

   The memo to employees from Delta Chief Executive Richard Anderson and
President Ed Bastian was issued as talks between the Atlanta-based carrier
and Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest Airlines Corp. have been hampered by an
inability by their pilots unions to reach a deal on integrating seniority
lists.

   The executives said the company's criteria for any potential deal include
protecting the seniority of Delta employees and creating greater job
security.

   Other conditions include that the combined airline be called Delta and be
headquartered in Atlanta. Officials familiar with the talks have said
those criteria have already been met, as have most other issues, except
for pilot integration.

   "Rest assured that we will not complete a transaction unless all of these
conditions are met," the Delta executives said in the memo. "We have a
strong stand-alone plan. We will maintain our attention on executing that
plan while we continue to look at strategic alternatives."

   Steenland told Northwest workers: "We continue to believe that
consolidation among the network carriers is inevitable."

   Given that, he wrote, Northwest would consider a deal that would provide
more long-term security and growth opportunities for workers, create value
for shareholders, and help customers and the cities Northwest serves.

   "We continue to consider strategic alternatives based on these criteria,"
he wrote.

   Not too long ago, Delta and Northwest seemed all but certain to announce=
combination soon.

   That still could happen, but the pilot impasse has jeopardized a deal.
Neither side has suggested they are ready to walk away, but there has been
a public and private silence in recent days from many people familiar with
the deal.

   Industry observers say that if a Delta-Northwest combination falls
through, the two airlines could stay independent, seek a quick deal with
another carrier or wait until next year to try the consolidation game
again.

   ___

   AP Business Writer Joshua Freed in Minneapolis contributed to this repor=
Copyright 2008 AP

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".