SFGate: China Inaugurates Homegrown Jet

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2007/12/21/internatio=
nal/i023120S31.DTL
Friday, December 21, 2007 (AP)
China Inaugurates Homegrown Jet
By ELAINE KURTENBACH, AP Business Writer

   (12-21) 06:09 PST SHANGHAI, China (AP) --

   China's first fully homegrown commercial aircraft rolled off the
production line Friday, marking a potential milestone for the country's
aviation program.

   In a nationally televised ceremony, the Xiangfeng, or "Flying Phoenix,"
was towed into a hangar at the Shanghai Aircraft Manufacturing Factory
amid flashing laser lights and rousing music. The rollout ceremony was
closed to most media, apart from state-run CCTV and the official Xinhua
News Agency.

   "Today, China's aviation industry has turned over a new leaf," Lin
Zuoming, general manager of China Aviation Industry Corp. I, or AVIC I,
said in comments carried on the news channel of China Central Television.

   The maiden flight for the the ARJ-21 is planned for March. It will carry
up to 90 passengers and have a flight range of 2,300 miles, according to
Xinhua.

   AVIC I plans to begin deliveries to customers in the third quarter of
2009, it said.

   The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration opened an office in Shanghai in
March and is working on safety standards with China's General
Administration of Civil Aviation.

   Original plans called for the jet to be ready by late 2005, but design
problems forced a delay.

   The highly touted project aims to make state-owned AVIC I a competitor to
other makers of smaller passenger jets, such as Canada's Bombardier Inc.
and Brazil's Embraer SA, while laying the groundwork for development of a
commercial jet twice the size of the ARJ-21.

   "A country's aviation industry is not complete unless it is able to
produce civilian aircraft," said AVIC I's Lin.

   The manufacturer says the ARJ-21 is expected to grab up to 60 percent of
the domestic market for mid-size regional airliners over the next 20
years.

   China will need about 900 mid-sized regional jets over the next two
decades, the company estimates, as economic growth drives an expansion of
air travel and airlines look for planes best tailored to feeder routes. ---=