SFGate: Union City dedicates memorial to 9/11's United Flight 93

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2007/12/09/BAMJTQUQR.=
DTL
Sunday, December 9, 2007 (SF Chronicle)
Union City dedicates memorial to 9/11's United Flight 93
Jill Tucker, Chronicle Staff Writer

   The Bay Area memorial honoring those who died Sept. 11, 2001, on Flight =
93
is nestled between a shopping center and a drainage ditch in Union City.
   At first, the site - dedicated Saturday - appears an odd location to
represent such a significant event.
   The terrorist attacks of 9/11 shook the country to its core, rippling in=
every corner, seemingly leaving no place or person untouched by the
tragedy.
   Given that, perhaps it makes sense to place the austere and regal row of
40 granite stones - one for each of the passengers and crew members who
were killed - not in the middle of a metropolis, but in a suburban patch
of land called Sugar Mill Landing Park.
   The Union City site is the first significant and permanent memorial to
United Airlines Flight 93. A national memorial at the crash site in
Somerset County, Pa., is in the planning stages.
   Family and friends of those aboard the Newark-to-San Francisco flight
filed through the small triangular park, past the winding row of stones,
their hands caressing the engraved names of their loved ones as the tears
flowed again.
   Jerry Bingham traveled from Florida to see his son's stone.
   Mark Bingham died on the plane, one of apparently many who fought against
the four terrorists after passengers and crew learned through their cell
phones that they were aboard a suicide mission - not a hijacking - headed
to Washington, D.C.
   "I believe this memorial has a heartbeat," Jerry Bingham said. "And it
beats for everybody that was saved."
   Bingham said the loss never gets easier, but he does get more proud - of
his son, those on the plane and those left behind who remember.
   "It's amazing what people can do when they get together," Bingham said,
looking at the memorial. "Just like on Flight 93."
   The memorial starts at a Plaza of Remembrance with three 10-foot-tall gr=
ay
granite stones that tell the story of Flight 93 and those who contributed
to the memorial. They face a tree planted with Pennsylvania dirt from the
field where the plane crashed. At the other end of a winding concrete path
is the Plaza of Hope with a flagpole surrounded by colorful tiles made by
local schoolchildren.
   But it is the 40 red granite stones that stand out. One side of each is
polished smooth and shiny, the other is rough, symbolizing a life
unfinished.
   Each is engraved with a name, age and hometown; above the name is a
reflective plate.
   The mirrors are there so visitors might realize "it could have been any
one of us on the plane," said Michael Emerson, the memorial's project
manager.
   Carole O'Hare's mother, Hilda Marcin, was on Flight 93. She was moving to
California to live with her daughter.
   "My mom used to remind me about Pearl Harbor Day," O'Hare said, recalling
that the phone would ring every year on Dec. 7. "Little did I think she'd
be a part of another day to remember."
   A few hundred people attended the dedication, with city officials thanki=
ng
the hundreds more who volunteered their time and money to complete the
project.
   About five years ago, Emerson came up with the idea to build the Bay Area
memorial because so many of the flight's heroes had a connection to the
area.
   "They are the model for every future hero to imitate and aspire to be,"
Emerson said. "Our debt to them is without measure."
   After the dedication, Carol Heiderich walked back to the stone bearing h=
er
brother's name: Jason Dahl.
   Dahl was the pilot.
   "We keep thinking it's getting easier, but it's not," said Heiderich, of
Hollister.
   As she spoke, she rubbed her fingers across the "43" on his stone. Her
brother would be nearly 50 now.
   "This is wonderful," she said of the memorial set in the small Union City
park.
   Yet the site of the memorial always raises the same question, said Deputy
City Mayor Tony Acosta.
   Why Union City? The answer was simple.
   "We don't want to forget," Acosta said, but he added there's another
reason, too.
   "We said yes."

   E-mail Jill Tucker at jtucker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -------------------------=