SFGate: Delta, United deny merger talks

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2007/11/15/BUU7TCGPE.=
DTL
Thursday, November 15, 2007 (SF Chronicle)
Delta, United deny merger talks
George Raine, Chronicle Staff Writer

   Delta Air Lines and United Airlines threw cold water on a news report
Wednesday that the two are engaged in merger talks, although Delta said
its board has established a committee to analyze "strategic options,"
including potential consolidation.
   The Associated Press reported Wednesday morning that merger talks between
the two are under way and said "there is a sense of urgency" to them. The
AP quoted an unidentified source who said, "They want to get something
done before a new administration gets in and so they get the clock ticking
on" federal regulatory approval.
   Delta replied in a statement, "There have been no talks with United
regarding any type of consolidation transaction and there are no such
ongoing discussions." United spokeswoman Jean Medina said, "We do not
respond to wholly inaccurate statements made by people who claim to have
knowledge when they clearly do not."
   The news report did push up shares of the airlines Wednesday, but they
fell after the carriers' denials.
   Both Richard Anderson, the chief executive of Delta, and Glenn Tilton, t=
he
CEO of United, are advocates of airline consolidation, and it has long
been expected in the industry that there will be more mergers.
   In that vein - but separate from the AP report - a hedge fund that holds=
 7
million shares of Delta Air Lines stock has urged management to enter into
a merger transaction with another carrier, and it said the best choice
would be United. World's largest airline?
   In a letter Tuesday, Pardus Capital Management President and CEO Karim
Samii and Shane Larson, a principal, wrote Delta management that they
"believe it is imperative that you seek to enter into a merger transaction
with another carrier given the rapid rise in fuel prices and the increased
risk to the business as a stand-alone entity."
   A United-Delta union would create the world's largest airline. The hedge
fund noted that United has an impressive Pacific presence, San Francisco
and Los Angeles hubs and slots at London's Heathrow Airport, while Delta
has European routes and its Atlanta base is a starting point for Latin
American flights.
   United Airlines is the major carrier at San Francisco International
Airport. It also has a maintenance base at the airport, with 3,000
employees. They do heavy maintenance not only on United's fleet of
airplanes but on those of at least 140 other airlines.
   Pardus said it had consulted with Gordon Bethune, the former chief
executive of Continental Airlines, and with the airline consulting firm
Simat, Helliesen & Eichner. Pardus, based in New York, said the firm
conservatively estimated $585 million in savings in a Delta-United
consolidation.
   Henry Harteveldt, an airline industry analyst at Forrester Research in S=
an
Francisco, agreed that the combination of routes is potentially
attractive, although there are thorny issues - notably putting together
Delta workers who still have pensions with United Airlines workers who
lost theirs in the course of bankruptcy proceedings. 'Product, people and
culture'
   "The benefits of a merger are often never as great as anyone expects them
to be on paper," said Harteveldt. "Too often they look at elements of
route network and do not consider the important things like product,
people and culture," he said.
   "But United Airlines' Tilton has been very vocal about the need for
airline industry consolidation," Harteveldt said. "He's just short of
setting up a lemonade stand saying, 'Please buy my airline.' "
   Medina, the spokeswoman at United, said, "We make decisions in the best
interest of United, and we don't comment on the opinion of one
shareholder, or the actions of hypothetical transactions proposed by
others."
   Delta said it had established a committee to explore options. It is head=
ed
by Daniel Carp, Delta's nonexecutive chairman of the board.
   "We appreciate receiving Pardus' views on the best course for Delta's
future," said CEO Anderson. "We have been consistent in our public
statements that Delta believes that the right consolidation transaction
could generate significant value for our shareholders and employees, and
that strategic options should be evaluated. With oil at over $90 a barrel,
this analysis takes on a heightened importance as we factor those prices
into our long-term planning process."
   Delta shares Wednesday rose 77 cents to $19.52 on the New York Stock
Exchange, while shares of UAL Corp., parent of United, rose 67 cents to
$44.17 on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

   E-mail George Raine at graine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -------------------------=