SFGate: Big Airliner Takes First Lucky Fliers

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2007/10/21/internatio=
nal/i094114D60.DTL
Sunday, October 21, 2007 (AP)
Big Airliner Takes First Lucky Fliers
By GILLIAN WONG, Associated Press Writer

   (10-21) 10:02 PDT SINGAPORE, (AP) --

   The first commercial flight by the world's largest passenger plane, the
Airbus A380, will fulfill a rich man's promise to his 91-year-old father
and grant a college student's birthday wish.

   Outfitted with the most luxurious cabin ever seen on a jetliner, Singapo=
re
Airlines flight SQ380 will fly 3,900 miles from Singapore to Sydney on
Thursday, carrying travelers ranging from businessmen to college students
and aviation enthusiasts.

   Most of the places on the 471-seat double-decker plane were auctioned for
charity on eBay, raising more than $1.25 million.

   "When we were young, we went through hardship and my father had to work
extra hard to support us and send us to school," said Singaporean
businessman William Leong, who had promised his father, Leong Lou Teck,
91, that he would be on the A380's first flight.

   "He took care of us then, and now it's our turn to take care of him,"
Leong said in an interview before the seven-hour flight that will carry 12
first-class passengers in enclosed suites which the airline calls "A Class
Beyond First."

   Promising total privacy, each suite — created by French luxury yac=
ht
designer Jean-Jacques Coste — is fitted with a leather upholstered
seat, a bed, a table and a 23-inch TV screen, plus laptop connections and
a range of office software.

   Leong is particularly impressed by the suite's sliding doors — "Wh=
en
I snore, it won't disturb my neighbors."

   Leong paid $60,000 for eight seats, including three suites for his fathe=
r,
elder brother and himself, as well as four in business class and economy
for other relatives.

   Two suites can be joined to provide a double bed by lifting a dividing
panel for more intimacy under mood lighting, although the carrier's chief
executive indicated mile-high behavior should stay grounded.

   "I would not encourage it for use for anything other than resting and
sleeping," Chew Choon Seng told The Associated Press in Toulouse, France,
last week when Airbus handed over the plane to Singapore Airlines.
Eighteen more A380s will be delivered over the next four years.

   The Singapore Airlines plane has 399 economy class seats on both decks,
and on the upper deck 60 business class seats that can turn into flat beds
to accommodate an adult and a child comfortably.

   It's a far cry from the first flight that the elder Leong took in the
1960s — a seven-hour journey on a four-propeller plane from
Singapore to Hong Kong — a flight that today takes less than four
hours.

   "That ride was bumpy," the elder Leong said, mimicking the spinning
propellers with his hands. "Airplanes are so stable now, less noisy, much
larger and more comfortable."

   Airbus says the A380, powered by four Rolls Royce Trent engines, will be
the quietest and most fuel-efficient passenger plane ever produced.

   Leong, a Chinese immigrant, turned his watch-repair business into a
multimillion-dollar import-export company now run by his son, William. The
son promised to get his dad on the A380 three years ago, but Airbus
delayed the delivery by nearly two years. Both Singapore Airlines and
Leong say the wait was worth it.

   The Leong family was not the highest bidder for seats. That title went to
Julian Hayward, a 39-year-old Briton based in Sydney who paid $100,380 for
two one-way trips in suites.

   A normal round-trip ticket to Sydney on the A380 will cost about $7,000,
roughly 25 percent more than the ordinary Singapore Airlines first-class
fare.

   Over in economy class, Francis Wu will celebrate his 22nd birthday on Oc=
t.
25, the day the flight takes off.

   A student at City College of San Francisco, he assembles model airplanes
and used to spend hours watching planes land and take off in his native
Hong Kong.

   "I think I will have a memorable birthday because this is the first time
so many people will celebrate it with me," said Wu, whose parents paid
$1,250 for the fare. "I'm very touched."

   Singapore Airlines says Airbus chose it as its first A380 customer becau=
se
of the airline's world-class reputation.

   Australian Tony Elwood, who owns a Perth-based construction equipment
company, paid $50,000 for a pair of one-way suites for his wife Julie and
himself.

   The airline's reputation was the attraction, Elwood said.

   "I would think if it were an American airline we wouldn't even go," he
said in a telephone interview.

   Besides, he added, "I'd like to meet other people silly enough to pay as