SFGate: Virgin America makes a dramatic entrance into Las Vegas

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2007/10/11/BUN4SNR70.=
DTL
Thursday, October 11, 2007 (SF Chronicle)
Virgin America makes a dramatic entrance into Las Vegas
George Raine, Chronicle Staff Writer

   We got caught up with racy entertainer Carmen Electra on Wednesday, along
with business mogul Sir Richard Branson and Kyla Ebbert, the San Diego
waitress who found recent fame after her attire was deemed inappropriate
by Southwest Airlines officials during one of their flights.
   What brought this unlikely trio together?
   They were all gathered at Gate A-11 of San Francisco International
Airport's international terminal, celebrating the first of Virgin
America's three daily flights between San Francisco and Las Vegas - from
"Fog City to Sin City," according to the marketing people. While Branson
and Electra were there to inform and entertain, Ebbert was there as a
direct dig at Virgin's archrival Southwest.
   And that's not all, by a longshot. There were showgirls and a singer, and
the normally staid gate was prettied up with red, white and black balloons
and inflated dice. It was marketing gone bonkers, with Virgin America
events scheduled into the wee hours of today at the Wynn Las Vegas, party
central for the airline, expected to end with a swim in the Wynn waterfall
for those left standing.
   Branson, chairman of the Virgin Group and 25 percent owner of Virgin
America, the Burlingame carrier just 64 days old, arrived with a flourish,
dressed in a religious man's collar, a cross around his neck. Preacher
Branson, ordained online for the day in the Universal Life Church,
performed an in-flight wedding ceremony minutes after the Las Vegas-bound
flight departed, joining Dimitrios Papadogonas, director of marketing at
Virgin America, and Coco Jones, who sells advertising at Yahoo.
   The idea for the wedding originated with Abby Lunardini, the carrier's
spokeswoman. It was also Lunardini who secured Ebbert's assist with
marketing. The two met on the set of the Dr. Phil show where Ebbert
denounced Southwest after a supervisor in July objected to her - in his
mind - skimpy attire.
   Lunardini invited Ebbert on what ultimately was Wednesday's first Virgin
flight to Las Vegas and to make personal appearances for the airline. Now
there's talk of possible commercial work.
   Cameras flashing, Branson picked up Ebbert and proclaimed, "Welcome
aboard, Kyla. Our gain.
   "I love to live my life to its fullest and not take myself too seriously=
,"
Branson said prior to departure. If Virgin America employees "have fun in
what they are doing, then I think the passengers who come into contact
with the cabin crew will see they are smiling, are happy and they'll enjoy
flying with us." He added, "It makes good business sense to have a team of
highly motivated people who believe in what they are doing."
   The philosophy was played in spades Wednesday. Carmen Electra, the
entertainer, was flown in to turn heads at Gate A-11 at SFO and make the
flight to Las Vegas. Electra's followers will be pleased to know that she
just finished two movies and has another in her Aerobic Striptease workout
video series coming out in December. (In case one cares to know, Electra
has a habit of repeatedly touching men on the arm when she speaks to
them.)
   Ebbert hasn't quite put the Southwest Airlines experience to rest.
   "I think people responded the way they did because it could have happened
to anybody," said Ebbert, who has left her job as a Hooters waitress in
San Diego because it was difficult for her to balance work and school. How
has her life changed since going public with her gripe? "I never would
have been here" had there not been the embarrassing episode on a flight to
Phoenix - for which Southwest apologized profusely.
   As she spoke, a singer was belting, "He did it Branson's way," to the tu=
ne
of "My Way," and performers from the Wynn Las Vegas production of Le Reve,
an aerial acrobatic production in a theater in the round, contorted at the
gate and posed for pictures.
   The wedding couple at first was apprehensive about the idea of a public
relations send-off but warmed to the idea.
   "Neither of us are public type of people," said Coco Jones, 39, who lives
in San Francisco with her 40-year-old husband, Papadogonas. "We talked
about it, and it was just such a turnkey for us."
   Branson rehearsed a line or two prior to departure. "You will have the
rest of your life together where you will soar on the wings of love," he
said, reading an index card. "You have to get the airline metaphor in
there," he explained.
   Virgin America will compete with Southwest, which has more than 33 fligh=
ts
a day between the Bay Area and Las Vegas. But Fred Reid, the Virgin
America chief executive, said he didn't want to talk competition.
   "What we want to entice people with is we want to fly on time, we want to
treat them with respect and affection, and we want to entertain along the
way," he said.
   From Las Vegas later Wednesday, Lunardini, the spokeswoman, said the
wedding went off without a hitch. The wedding song playing over the PA
system was "Love Is In the Air."

   A company that resold Southwest Airlines Co. boarding passes to let
customers score the best seats on the plane has closed. C3

   E-mail George Raine at graine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -------------------------=