SFGate: BA Orders Boeing, Airbus Planes

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2007/09/27/financial/=
f070422D14.DTL
Thursday, September 27, 2007 (AP)
BA Orders Boeing, Airbus Planes
By JANE WARDELL, AP Business Writer

   (09-27) 11:44 PDT LONDON, United Kingdom (AP) --

   British Airways PLC divided its largest aircraft order in nine years
between rivals Airbus and Boeing Co. on Thursday as the airline prepares
to increase capacity on its long-haul routes.

   BA's decision to book a dozen Airbus A380 superjumbos along with 24 Boei=
ng
787 Dreamliners in a much-anticipated order worth $8.2 billion (5.8
billion euros) at list prices ends decades of Boeing's dominance in
providing planes to the carrier.

   It is also a vote of confidence in Airbus' previously troubled
double-decker A380. Deliveries of the aircraft were delayed for two years
because of wiring and other technical problems that cost the company
billions of euros.

   BA Chief Executive Willie Walsh said that the airline had opted for the
A380 rather than Boeing's newly revamped 747-8 for environmental and
economic reasons.

   The 525-seat Airbus plane will enable BA to increase capacity on its
flights out of the congested Heathrow Airport, where takeoff slots are
limited, to destinations including Hong Kong, Los Angeles and San
Francisco.

   BA will use the 250-seat Boeing 787s to build up new routes, including
destinations that the airline's existing fleet of Boeing 767s and 747s
cannot serve.

   "We see opportunities in South America, Asia and North America," said
Walsh.

   The new planes will be delivered between 2010 and 2014, allowing BA to
expand its capacity by up to 4 percent per year.

   Analysts say that is important for the Europe's third-largest airline to
keep up with competitors that have more aggressively expanded their
long-haul fleets since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in the United
States. Virgin Atlantic Airways' passenger total grew 16 percent last
year, eight times the growth at BA.

   Walsh said the green credentials of the airline's new purchases will
"contribute significantly" to its target of improving fuel efficiency by
25 percent between 2005 and 2025.

   BA has also taken options to buy 18 more Dreamliners and seven more A380s
and Walsh said that the airline is continuing to look at Airbus'
medium-range A350XWB, which has been delayed until 2013 after unhappy
customers forced an expensive redesign, and Boeing's 777-300ER.

   "We didn't feel we had sufficient clarity on each so we are continuing
negotiations over the next 18 months," he said.

   Analysts said that the rivalry between the two plane manufacturers had
likely resulted in a significant discount on the list prices for the order
announced Thursday.

   "Pricing may have played a role, as British Airways was able to play
Boeing off against Airbus," said Howard A. Rubel at Jeffries & Co.

   Collins Stewart analyst Andrew Fitchie said that BA probably paid closer
to $6 billion (4.23 billion euros).

   BA's shares rose 4.13 percent to 384.25 pence ($7.78) after the
long-awaited fleet order announcement, which Fitchie said reinforced the
fact that "BA looks cheap on every measure."

   "The 30 percent discount to its peers reflects a lack of confidence in t=
he
outlook, driven by worries over the knock-on effect of the credit crisis
to premium demand," he said. "We are optimistic that next week's September
traffic stats release will show a good trading performance and we
understand forward bookings and premium demand remain strong." ------------=