SFGate: Ed Perkins on Travel: One-way fares becoming more reasonable

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2007/09/13/DD36S3I9E.=
DTL
Thursday, September 13, 2007 (SF Chronicle)
Ed Perkins on Travel: One-way fares becoming more reasonable
Ed Perkins

   Start looking for airfares on most airline or agency Web sites, and the
search program almost always defaults to round trip. To be sure, a
round-trip ticket is usually what you want, but once in a while you really
prefer one-way. Because most round-trip tickets require you to set your
return date when you buy your ticket, a trip with an indefinite stay may
require two one-way tickets. Or perhaps you want to fly one way, then
drive, take a train or cruise the other.
   Until recently, the lowest fares on most airlines were restricted to
round-trip tickets with a minimum Saturday night stay. The idea was to
gouge business travelers - who, presumably, don't like to be away from
home over a weekend - while enticing leisure travelers with bargain rates.
Until recently, even on giant low-fare airline Southwest, the cheapest
trips required round-trip purchase, and the round-trip requirement was
ironclad on the "legacy" lines.
   No more: That picture has changed - dramatically, if not uniformly. I
compared a few round-trip and one-way deals in early September, and I
found a far different marketplace. For my test, I checked fares from New
York to Los Angeles, Boise and London, for a seven-day trip in
mid-October:
   New York-Los Angeles: The cheapest one-way I found was $159 for a nonstop
flight to Long Beach on JetBlue, but American to Los Angeles International
was only a bit higher, at $169. At $317, JetBlue also had the lowest round
trip, but Delta was close at $324. I wasn't surprised, given the extensive
low-fare competition on busy transcontinental routes.
   New York-Boise: The cheapest one-way I found was $170 on US Airways; oth=
er
lines were generally higher. At $325, Northwest had the best round-trip
deal. On this less-competitive route, I didn't expect to see such a good
one-way deal, but there it was.
   New York-London: The cheapest one-ways I found were $275 plus tax for a
nonstop on Air India and $303 plus tax with a Dublin connection on Aer
Lingus. The legacy lines were all much higher, ranging from $752 to $851
plus tax. At $509, Delta showed the best round-trip rate, but the other
legacy lines were close. This is more like the usual pattern: Round-trip
tickets less than one-way on the legacy lines, with good one-way deals
available only on obscure or low-fare lines.

   Overall, I suspect that my relatively limited test results are pretty mu=
ch
indicative of what you'll find on most major air routes. And they lead to
some obvious buying recommendations for anyone who needs a one-way ticket
- the prime one being to forget what you used to "know" about one-way
tickets and instead check as many options as you can:
   -- Don't assume that your best deal will be on a low-fare line. The lega=
cy
lines are often competitive, on at least some of their seats.
   -- When you're traveling overseas - especially from a major gateway such
as New York or Los Angeles - take a look at any small-country airlines
that might take you where you want to go. Several airlines based in Asia,
for example, make a stop in Europe between the United States and their
home base, and they often offer better one-way deals than the giant
airlines.
   -- Over the next few years, you can expect to see some new low-fare
airlines on international routes, similar to Flyglobespan and Zoom, which
recently started transatlantic flights.
   -- If you want to fly one way and cruise or take a train the other, look
for one-way airfare packages from Amtrak or your cruise line.
   -- Even when they don't officially publish low one-way fares, legacy lin=
es
sometimes offer discounted one-way tickets through consolidators.
   -- If all else fails - and when the best one-way fare you can find is mo=
re
than the cheapest round trip - you can buy a round trip and discard the
return flight.

   E-mail syndicated columnist Ed Perkins at eperkins@xxxxxxxxx -----------=