SFGate: Unfriendly skies cloud our American horizons

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2007/07/23/EDG6QQ4RMB=
1.DTL
Monday, July 23, 2007 (SF Chronicle)
Unfriendly skies cloud our American horizons
Richard Rapaport

   Summer 2007 is turning out to be an epically unpleasant air-travel season
for U.S. airlines and for millions of weary passengers forced to take
their chances in the unfriendly skies. Since 9/11, flying has increasingly
become an act of desperation, an ordeal to be endured with the stoic
acceptance of Depression-era dustbowl refugees driving to California in
their overburdened Model T's. In the 1930s ballad "How Can You Keep on
Moving (Unless You Migrate Too)," the song-writer/refugee makes an
existential recognition: "Can't stay, can't go back and can't migrate, so
where in the hell am I?"
   Similar thoughts of being marooned in travel hell percolated through the
minds of the thousands of us forced in early June to sit on runways for
hours when United Airlines grounded its fleet due to "a computer glitch."
For me, the dread grew more intense the following week when my return
flight from Chicago was canceled after our United Boeing 777 clipped the
tail of a smaller jet on the taxiway. The passengers were still gawking
when the captain weirdly announced: "I made a boo-boo, and this plane is
going out of service." The wounded machine limped to a gate and disgorged
its passengers, who were left to mill aimlessly until the lone agent
announced that United was indeed formulating plans to accommodate a
now-plane-less plane-full of passengers ... if they didn't mind waiting a
day or so.
   The saddest part was that pilots, passengers and ground personnel seemed
to take the whole incident, and so much else of today's airplane travel
misery, for granted. Passengers meekly got in line to wait for whatever
the airline had to offer.
   With increasing regularity, it seems, American fliers find themselves pa=
rt
of airport incidents that put them in the same "where the hell am I" mind
set of the dust-bowl troubadour. The connection between the travelers of
the '30s and of the '00s is not so far-fetched: During the '70s and '80s,
millions of middle-class Americans began to rely on air travel in much the
way their Depression-era grandparents took to their autos to take them
wherever they needed to go. Missed so far in the ongoing hand wringing
over our air travel system is recognition that commercial aviation today
is as basic an economic and social cog in modern America as was the car
for previous generations.
   Jet travel is now a bottom-line necessity, one that helped establish a w=
ay
of life. Until recently, Americans were confident enough in the state of
commercial aviation to be willing to base fundamental life assumptions on
it. These included uprooting oneself to live and work thousands of miles
away from family. The unwritten compact was that an affordable ticket
bought us the peace of mind of knowing that we were a day's flight from
home.
   In a similar way, American business in the last third of the 20th century
was built around commercial jet schedules that enabled our best and
brightest to move easily between home and work. America became the
"can-do" nation, able to fly out its pros to solve the world's industrial,
political and economic problems.
   How times have changed.
   Americans need to recognize that the air travel we once celebrated as a
touchstone of national prosperity and pride is no longer in its golden age
and perhaps America no longer is, either.
   Perhaps, in the name of environmentalism, sustainability or just plain
lethargy, Americans ought to accept the need to limit the personal and
national horizons widened so dramatically in the jet-age. Doing so,
however, may well signal a national decline that seems, well, un-American.

   Richard Rapaport is a freelance writer living in Mill Valley. He can be