SFGate: DAILY DIGEST/Attack overwhelms Virgin America site

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2007/07/20/BUGB0R2T9E=
1.DTL
Friday, July 20, 2007 (SF Chronicle)
DAILY DIGEST/Attack overwhelms Virgin America site
David Armstrong

   Web site problems marred the first day of ticket sales for Virgin Americ=
a,
the startup low-fare airline in Burlingame, when hackers attacked
www.virginamerica.com, and the airline was forced to take down the site
for about an hour on Thursday afternoon. Service was restored by late
afternoon, but not before an unknown number of would-be ticket-buyers
experienced some frustration in trying to book online flights.
   "It's very frustrating," said airline spokesman Gareth Edmondson-Jones.
"We've done well on our first day, but it's disappointing not to have done
better."
   Edmondson-Jones said Virgin America's information-technology staff notic=
ed
sporadic problems with the site in the morning, as demand for tickets was
strong. By mid-day, the staff concluded that the site was under attack.
"It never actually crashed, but we took it down to get it fixed," he said.
   The airline, which will begin flying Aug. 8 between San Francisco
International Airport and New York's John F. Kennedy International
Airport, and between SFO and Los Angeles International Airport, continued
to sell tickets over the telephone and by directing buyers to
www.orbitz.com, which was not affected, he said. --------------------------=